Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

JC Simone designed the 33' cary that Don Aronow "poped" to make the 36 cigarette!! So yes, JC designed the cigarette.... that boat yo guys have posed here so many times... the black boat called "the cigarette" is a 33' CARY!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
JC Simone designed the 33' cary that Don Aronow "poped" to make the 36 cigarette!! So yes, JC designed the cigarette.... that boat yo guys have posed here so many times... the black boat called "the cigarette" is a 33' CARY!
This is amazing new information you have given us here.

Now can you fill in some of the blanks?
When exactly did all of this happen?
Was JC Simon still in France when he did this, or in the US?
Where did his design add another foot on to the 32 foot Cary Don raced as the Cigarette?
Why didn't he use his usual Paolo Calairi deck design with this?

Any additional info you may have re the 33 to 36 popeing would be helpful too.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JC was working For Elton at the time... Designing and building carys... the 32 is the 33... its 32-8 or there abouts.... with the classic 9-4 beam.... yawn... we all know this.... the 33 cary was turned over and 3' were added on and the boat became the 36' cigarette....SHAZAM!!!! or as we say in Miami... hey, look what I did. Then.... in the mid 70's when States started to crack down on oversized loads... DA decided to Make the 36' a 8'6 boat reducing the beam mid freeboard with a skill saw.... thus the famous linear line we all now see that goes down the side of every Cigarette... and... well... just about everything else.... The 35' and the 37.5 were the first 8-6's... The same hulls that became the Cafe' and the Top Gun in '86.

But hey... just my 2 cents.... you could ask Brownie. Because if DA is the Father of offshore boats.... well JC is the Grandfather... and Brownie ... A very wise uncle.

Last edited by MidOcean; 05-26-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why sign 32' instead 33'? If the true lenght was 32'8" this is more near 33' then 32'.
Aronow can named the famuos first Cig.33' not 32'.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Registered

Aronow was the Father of Offshore not only for the Cigarette saga but for Donzi,Formula and Magnum before.
There was Jean Claude Simon too?
If you look the hull of them you can understand thats was a "evolution of the species" that arrive at the Cary-Cigarette hull design.
Look the "Dreadnought" of Barry Coen at Miami-Nassau in 1967. It was a Magnum 35' and was "designed" by Aronow.
It's like the Cigarette. The same.
I believe that JCS ,was in Cary like you saying in 1968-9 and maybe he can co-operated designing the first 32'(33'),or to lenghtened to 36'.
The real story of JCS in offshore began some years later. in 1974 with the customized Cary 32' and Cobras.

"Dreadnought" - Miami-Nassau 1967 Magnum 35'

"Black Tornado" - Miami-Nassau 1970 Cary 32' former "The Cigarette"
Old 05-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
JC was working For Elton at the time... Designing and building carys... the 32 is the 33... its 32-8 or there abouts.... with the classic 9-4 beam.... yawn... we all know this.... the 33 cary was turned over and 3' were added on and the boat became the 36' cigarette....SHAZAM!!!! or as we say in Miami... hey, look what I did. Then.... in the mid 70's when States started to crack down on oversized loads... DA decided to Make the 36' a 8'6 boat reducing the beam mid freeboard with a skill saw.... thus the famous linear line we all now see that goes down the side of every Cigarette... and... well... just about everything else.... The 35' and the 37.5 were the first 8-6's... The same hulls that became the Cafe' and the Top Gun in '86.

But hey... just my 2 cents.... you could ask Brownie. Because if DA is the Father of offshore boats.... well JC is the Grandfather... and Brownie ... A very wise uncle.

This is the worst attempt to rewrite history that I have ever seen. Brownie will probably say it is dog poop.
The following users liked this post:
bobo1 (11-14-2020)
Old 05-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Registered

1968 "Tornado" - former 1967's "Maltese Magnum" double-engined Magnum 28' of Don Aronow.

1970 "Black Tornado"-former "The Cigarette" - Cary 32' of 1969. Very little difference that concerned only the lenght overall and the decks.

"Tornado" Magnum

"Cigarillo" 1970-74 Cary 32' outboard.
If someone that have a doubt on the Aronow's hulls?

Last edited by Black Tornado; 05-27-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Heres The Old Swap Shop And Here Is One After My Dad Re Did It Bad Pics ....i Am Still Looking For More
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-scan0007.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-scan.jpg  
Old 05-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Couple More Of The Mighty Bertram...........
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-scan0006.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-scan0005.jpg  
Old 05-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

From "L'Avventura dell'Offshore" Aronow wrote:
"....After I bought the Magnum factory at American Photo Copy Co.(APECO),Bertram come out with the new 32'. Those boats,effectives and fast,was to much for my Magnum 28' when the seas was rough. I wanted a boat more big and I went to Magnum ,my old factory,to ask them build it for me.
They refused. Then I asked to my friend Elton Cary and we went at a agree to built a 32' on my design but with the brand Cary.
It was the prototype of the Cigarettes and we named "The Cigarette".
Actually it was of a 28' enlarged with the beam of 9'4" and a lenght overall of 32' in that we obtained the greater ratio between lenght-width that I searched by the years...."

The new owners of Magnum,APACO,at the signing of the agreement with Aronow for the assignment of the factory,wanted the clause in which they asked that Aronow will not create another boat factoty in the next two years(1968-1970). This because they had fear that Aronow will make the same like the sale of Donzi and Formula.
When Aronow and Cary came out with the new 32' "The Cigarette" in 1969,Magnum contested the agreement and after a hard fight they agreed that the "The Cigarette'" would have the inscription "Magnum" when raced.
It happened only at Bahamas 500 (I think)like the image below show to us.

P.s Sorry to alls for my bad translation but i hope it's however understandable.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 05-27-2006 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.