Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 05-28-2006, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

I'm band new to the site and have really enjoyed reading this thread.

I've recently purchased what was advertised as a 1972 PDC. All I know about it is it measures a shade over 23' and at one time had twin drives in it.

The closest thing I've seen to it is this...

(there's a picture back on pg 21.)
Originally Posted by inbetween
1975 Production 1 National Champion (1974? P&D Hull)
Here's mine. Any Idea what it really is/was?

Old 05-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
DA told me himself that the Maltese was the model name for the 28 high deck... Anyway... I remember racing at Holiday Isle in '79 and there were "welcome" signs made on the side of the road for "black tornado". Marv Marter said that relatives of the Black Tornado crew lived there in Plantation Key. The only reason I mentioned it was that I grew up about 2 miles from there.

Do you have an idea what this boat is it ?
At that "Maltese Magnum" I refered in the posts above.
It was one of the "Maltese Magnum" (Aronow used as much as three of this,one with 2 onboard Mercruiser,one with a mono onboard Merc. and one with 3 outboard Mercury) in 1967. All three named "Maltese Magnum".
This 28' Magnum was the design for the Cary-Cigarette 32' with some modifications,but any in the hull.
Those was that said Aronow.

I'm not a parent of Vincenzo Balestrieri. Would to God!
Balestrieri was one of the most famous italian offshore champ. Him son,Alex,live in New York and he have a web-site dedicated to father and him Tornadoes where I have co-operated with the pictures only.

Last edited by Black Tornado; 05-28-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Black Tornado - what happened to the old Cigarette 36 ex Lady Nara that was for sale a couple of years ago? Is it still there?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

You know - this old beauty!
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-lady-nara-69-small.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BT... look at the chine beam...at the transom.... there is no way that hull evolved into the 32/33.... Also, if you remember, the original 28' Magnum... as pictured above, tapered the chine beam to a narrower dimension in the aft... You can almost see it in the pic.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what a thread Great reading...
Old 05-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

IT IS 90 OUT and i cant stop reading this post great discussion guys
Old 05-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
IT IS 90 OUT and i cant stop reading this post great discussion guys
first thing I came to look at today!

only after saving the race examples, will the "vintage" market really take off...

there are well organized vintage/restoration movements in cars (of course), bikes, even snowmobiles and farm tractors...just about everything

"old school" boats are at the cusp of taking off with a wider audience in terms of "cool factor".

Restoring on of these old gals won't be cheap...but it will keep a man out of trouble for awhile!
Old 05-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

MidOcean The chine beam is one of the difference. Aronow designing the new 32' modified the deck "cutting" the bending. But it is ininfluent in the original design of the hull.
The hull(keel?) is the same between Magnum 28' and the Cary-Cigarette 32',but the last is simply lenghtened,like then the 36',39',40'.
That's what I would to say.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Littlenige: Yes is there still in selling. It's was repainted in orange without name. It have a couple of old MerCruiser carbourator,and Mercury stern drives. Tomorrow I will call to them for last news.

This is the second "Lady Nara" that Bonelli used in 1972. This boat was destroied in a fire offshore Viareggio in 1980.
"Lady Nara" that won the CTC in 1971 is stay alive.
We can see Franco Statua(throttleman)Attilio Petroni(driver)Ronny Bonelli(navigator)

Below some pics that show me and the Throttleman Franco Statua that was in Lady Nara in 1971-72.
Statua passed away in January and was for me the master when I worked in the Firebird Team in 1980-82.
I want to remember him. Throttleman World Champion in 1984 Viareggio's Finals with Alberto Petri in the beatiful "Miura",CUV 38' mono.
Statua drove to victory in a third race in 1984 with rough seas almost like in the famous Cowes-Torquay-Cowes.

Sailing to a cargo! in the harbour of Viareggio.

Me (with hair-fast effect) and Statua. My friend Roby took this shot smeared on the deck.

Old fast. Note in foreground the particular air scoop with windows operated by the crew. This pics was taken in 1980-81 when the boat after 10 years of glory in Offshore races was sold for fast cruising. But it don't undergoing remake or customized.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.