Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

The boat I have is the '79 boat that became Michelob Light-
The sides were done in white with 'Michelob Light'. Then sometime later the KAAMA name was done in black letters on the white background. It is all white now.

I found the boat quite by accident. Heres the boat ad from Boattraderonline-

38' LARRY SMITH Scarab Ex-Raceboat, staggered fresh Merc. 575's, #3 speedmasters, Patterson marine headers, 3 man cockpit, no cabin, Kaama external steering. Hull ID #TSC101380379. All white paint.

The gentleman I purchased it from, Ed Medley, said it belonged to a man who had named it Soxcess and was in the garment business (socks). Ron Hirschberg was his name, and he had purchased the boat from Betty Cook- Ron also raced it as Revenge and is in the 1985 Apache offshore video. There was no paperwork trail. I thought it was BS, but the boat had all the candy so I plunked down and bought iher home...

I was washing her and on the starboard side fairing I saw some stencilled writing which was painted over but still visible. First I saw OO, then OOK and then

' OWNER
BETTY COOK' !!

The port side has

' THROTTLES
JOHN CONNER'

I ran inside yelling for My wife. She thought I cut my **** off, or something !! This is the lettering that is visible in some of the pictures such as the white/black lettered scheme.

I spoke to Larry Smith and he said this definitely was Betty Cook's boat. The last three digits of the ID indicate March, 1979 manuf. date.

The boat then went to the Associated Marine Institute in Tampa, then to Mr. Medley.

The trailer is by target, and has two storage bins in the V behind the coupling. It is the original trailer seen in the pictures! I have since found a perfectly preserved trailer registration in Mr. Hirschbergs name stored in a plastic envelope.

The boat is undergoing a meticulous restoration and I am being very careful to keep everything as God, Larry Smith, John Connor, and Betty Cook originally intended it to be. Sometimes late at night I stand at the helm and hear a distant roar...
Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Save the Old Race Boats

WOW!! Bulldog, I hope we get to see lots of pictures as you progress with the boat. And Charlie, how refreshing to see someone who used to race still have a real passion for the sport. It always amazes me how someone can be a big player on the scene then disappear overnight and show no apparent interest in the sport. Great jacket too!!! I had nearly as many patches on my jacket as a kid - most folks around Cowes must have thought it was a bit odd to see a 12 year old kid walking around with some obscure logo patches all over his jacket (thinking K.A.M.).
Old 06-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PJRIZ
He was'nt Don but the italian driver Guido Niccolai that finish in second place behind Betty.
Don was there but like a guest spectator.

Don with Giorgio Mondadori,on back. Venice 1979.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Registered

Lee
Many thanks. I saw those pics in a old thread.
They came from a poster you wrote.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Registered

Littlenige
And where is your jacket now?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Save the Old Race Boats

It would be over 30 years old by now - it didn´t survive!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:03 AM
Registered

My t-shirt of Tornado Racing Team is staying alive!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Registered

My Martini racing t-shirt bit the dust many moons ago, as did the American eagle tee. But I still have the original Dry Martini poster from 74, and the American Eagle poster from 76. Both are getting pretty tatty - I will have to photograph them before they completely fall apart! They´ve survived 6 house moves over the years! I have a signed letter from Carl Kiekhaefer and one from Betty Cook. I am also going to upload onto the net once I pull my finger out (courtesy of the boatmad site inthe UK) a recording of an interview with Betty Cook from 1978. Wonderful stuff!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Good morning boys......here is something I found in the boxes yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-old-offshore0005-small-.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-old-offshore0016-small-.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-old-offshore0017-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 06-01-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't want to even get into the controversy of whether or not, this was the first "CAT" of offshore racing.

Let's just say it was one of the very first. Designed by Walt Walters, in the left of the picture for Tommy Sopwith, in the right of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-old-offshore0013a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.