Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HORBA

One year ago today, we started HORBA

It has grown tremendously over the past 12 months and we are very excited about our plans for the future.

Thanks to OSO for the support and help they have given us and their ownlove of the sport and keeping the history alive.

THANK YOU to the fans and especially to the directors who have made this possible.

Thanks for bringing this back up Steve. I guess we have come a long way since the start. Now with the first real open ocean race under our belts......the future looks promising.

Thanks again to everyone who has worked for, or believed in this concept. It is you who have made this possible.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

I guess we have come a long way since the start. Now with the first real open ocean race under our belts......the future looks promising.

Thanks again to everyone who has worked for, or believed in this concept. It is you who have made this possible.
Next year will be better!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Old
I agree Robert. When I pull up OSO, Ihead right to this thread now. I think the idea has legs......

Here's an 84 Excalibur Cat for sale. Former "Mr Smoker"?
Kaama riged this boat sveral years ago. I think the owner was from Texas. He manufactured meat smokers.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, just found this thread by accident. Spent the last 2 hours looking it over. The first time I saw a 18' barrel back Donzi with the words "427 Holman Moody" on the side I was hooked. Great work!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Registered

the old eastern express is now a pleasure boat in md.it is a 1991 32ft skater.it ran 110mph yesterday
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

any help with finding black max would be great ! ive tried to contact old racers in seattle and have had no luck . lots of time has passed !

if anyone knows anything about the boat please contact me 727 686 0900
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Registered

QUOTE from page 3, by Top Bannana:
The boat was set up with twin engines in tandem driving a single shaft and prop. It was basically trying to do the same thing that our own HORBA board member Brownie did with a 28 foot Donzi...twin engines and one prop...but Brownie won the Miami Nassau race with his.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How did they file the two engines into one prop... i'm just curious and never heard of this. thanks for the reply.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is one I found. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were ridng our Harleys up to Cedar Key for lunch and we stopped by the Harley dealer in New Port Richey.

This boat is in a little boatyard one block west of the Harley dealer. It is on route 54 near the junction of 19.

This boat was made out of aluminum by Broward Marine for Jerry Jacoby who ran Ajac Hawk. Maybe because it is aluminum it hasn't weathered too badly. I'm sure it would be less costly than a wooden cat of the same vintage.
I saw that boat,, next to some beat up golf carts and a few other boats. I was actually thinking about getitng it. I live a few miles away.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

-------G-spot,,,Its funny you mention the 28 DONZI Sportsman that Brownie won the 67 Miami/Nassua race with (DONZI BABY) as I am on the trail of that very boat at the moment. I saw it yesterday!!!! It has been stripped of just about everything, but the hull and deck are intact. As a sidebar it appears that the boat may have been serial #1.
-------I dont have the resources to do anything with the boat as I am in the middle of a couple of other expensive restos so I would love to hear from anyone who has the time and the commitment to do whats right with this historic DONZI. It should be brought back. Call me at 810-326-0490 or PM or E-mail me if you either are that person or know of someone that wants to own the 1967 Miami to Nassua winner........Bill S
Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did You Guys Know that...

in the World Championships held in Venice Italy in 1979 that Roki Aoki and Howard Quam raced together in Rocky's yellow cat? Howard throttled and, of course, Rocky drove. They hit some driftwood on the course and filled their water pick-ups causing them to overheat and slow way down. I think they finished 4th or 6th.

Back then you had to be INVITED to race in the Worlds. Howard and Keith Hazell were US-2 in 1979 in #45, Flap Jack, behind Betty Cook and John Connor.

Right around Christmas of 1979 a chap named Jack Cunningham purchased the 1979 38' Bertram from Howard and it was campaigned in England after that. Jack bought the truck, trailer, spare engines...EVERYTHING!

Howard was thinking of not racing in 1980 until he decided to purchase the older 38' Bertram called "Satisfaction" from Paul Clauser. (formerly the "Copper Kettle" of Sandy Satullo). It was slower and heavier than the newer 38's Howard was used to, but it was as strong as any boat I had ever been in.

Does anybody know what ever happened to Paul Clauser?

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.