Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Hey Fred, we take any race history boat from anywhere in the world.
Do you have a lot of the parts these guys need for the upcoming restoration projects?

If I don't, I'll find them.

What could be more fun than to be involved in seeing these magnificent boats brought back to life and better yet enjoyed?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Also in the OSO classifieds.....1990 Larry Smith Scarab 30.

It meets the 15 year old requirememnt and is under 50k asking price.

Start buying guys.

Last edited by Too Old; 10-24-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has to be one of the most interesting ideas I've seen in a long time. The potential here could be enormous,and only good things can come from all us old guys that have an interest. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
This has to be one of the most interesting ideas I've seen in a long time. The potential here could be enormous,and only good things can come from all us old guys that have an interest. Keep the ideas coming.
I agree Robert. When I pull up OSO, Ihead right to this thread now. I think the idea has legs......

Here's an 84 Excalibur Cat for sale. Former "Mr Smoker"?

Last edited by Too Old; 10-24-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 PM

This one is for sale to

Last edited by Papache; 09-04-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

i seen a picture of a bertram called dinosaur does anyone know the original name of this boat . another great boat for for these events. one more boat to look for is la tortuga it was a MSV 38ft i remember it from the jersey races,also streaker 38 bertram,boss o' nova 36 cig,dantes inferno,36 cig, and tom gentrys american eagle 35 cig
Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 PM
JnT
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
I know Peter Dean still has his SLINGSHOT in Monroe Ga.
http://www.propcopropellers.com
Old 01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

Hey Fred, we take any race history boat from anywhere in the world.
Do you have a lot of the parts these guys need for the upcoming restoration projects?
What qualifies a boat for Historical status?
Boats (deepV's, cats, tri-hulls, outboards, inboards, sterndrives, surface drives) that have ever raced in the "Offshore Class" of any sanctioning body, at least 15 years ago or longer, qualifies. If the boat has a real race history, it is in.
I'm in love with this idea considering I'm into vintage car racing for both watching and playing out on the track. With cars I can buy any 74' 911 and turn it into a RSR race car replica and race it vintage, as long as it is built spec. to how the real race car was raced in that era.

Would you guy's consider allowing period correct replicas without a race history or is this a solid must? Even if yes its still an awsome idea........
Old 01-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by open72
so , would my 72 cigarette qualify?
What are you growing off to the right there??
Old 01-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
I'm in love with this idea considering I'm into vintage car racing for both watching and playing out on the track. With cars I can buy any 74' 911 and turn it into a RSR race car replica and race it vintage, as long as it is built spec. to how the real race car was raced in that era.

Would you guy's consider allowing period correct replicas without a race history or is this a solid must? Even if yes its still an awsome idea........
Let me answer by saying that at this time there is no decision, but it is something that is on the table.

My son and I are involved in vintage cars too. My son completely restored one of our old race cars back to the way it was when we raced it. We were invited to bring it to the Amelia Island Concours last year.

GM celebrated it's 50th year of building the small block engine. There were 4 cars that were in the grand ballroom for that ceremony and ours was one of the four. Photos are below and yes, that's Junior Johnson.

So I am very familiar with vintage cars and that whole approach is something I would like to bring over to this association as much as possible.

Now, one of the problems we see is the lack of the "real" things out there for restoration. If someone wanted to find a bunch of #3 drives they would have a problem. So do we allow the boats to run with a modern setup or even allow other drives, Konrad or Teagues to be used just so the boats can run?

These are some of the issues we are dealing with and hope to have answers soon. Our first priority is to build an association where people can come and have fun on a weekend, not be hassled by restrictive rules....there is enough of that already out there.

I am trying to encourage the restoration, preservation and most important, the use of historic offshore race boats.

To answer the other question from the person with the open fisherman Cigarette, please refer to our first statement..."If it has a real race history,it is in." Find some documentation or give us the history of it's races.

One of the nice things about our Board is that not only were they around for most of the old races, a lot of them were involved in buildng the actual race boats of the times.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-arizona-harley-trip-100a.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-arizona-harley-trip-087a.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-arizona-harley-trip-091a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 01-12-2006 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.