Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

Originally Posted by cig28
i seen a picture of a bertram called dinosaur does anyone know the original name of this boat . another great boat for for these events. one more boat to look for is la tortuga it was a MSV 38ft i remember it from the jersey races,also streaker 38 bertram,boss o' nova 36 cig,dantes inferno,36 cig, and tom gentrys american eagle 35 cig
did msv make a 44 do you have any pictures of the 38 i will be posting some old race stuff from point from the 70s thru my friend at sharkey marine hope by saturday thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BRC874
did msv make a 44 do you have any pictures of the 38 i will be posting some old race stuff from point from the 70s thru my friend at sharkey marine hope by saturday thanks

The boat you are referring to was the 44 foot MSV...the initials stood for Miller, Saccenti (who is a HORBA board member) and Varese.

They built a 44 foot boat that had a very narrow entry as compared to the other boats of the time. They won the Point Pleasant race in 1975, which was the first ever Benihana race there.

The boat was too long to be competitive with the power of the day, so the mold was blocked and a 38 footer was made. This boat, Beep Beep, went on to become National champ for the next 2 years, '76 and '77. The boat was now called a Cobra and driven by Joel Halpern.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
The boat you are referring to was the 44 foot MSV...the initials stood for Miller, Saccenti (who is a HORBA board member) and Varese.

They built a 44 foot boat that had a very narrow entry as compared to the other boats of the time. They won the Point Pleasant race in 1975, which was the first ever Benihana race there.

The boat was too long to be competitive with the power of the day, so the mold was blocked and a 38 footer was made. This boat, Beep Beep, went on to become National champ for the next 2 years, '76 and '77. The boat was now called a Cobra and driven by Joel Halpern.
any pictures of the boat and do you know if there is one around you have all the answers love to talk to you some time and here some stories from the 70s i have a few myself thanks for the help bruce
Old 01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BRC874
any pictures of the boat and do you know if there is one around you have all the answers love to talk to you some time and here some stories from the 70s i have a few myself thanks for the help bruce
A picture of the La Tortuga the 44 foot MSV, was on the cover of the Benihana race program for 1976. Mine is in a box somewhere, but someone else may have access to a copy and post a picture.

No, I don't have all the answers. I was very lucky to come along at the time I did, and meet and race with some really great people. That is why I reached out to ask my friends to serve on this HORBA board, so that the correct answers would be available to the people who wanted to restore and operate these old race boats.

Remember, the boats are the stars, we are just taking care of them for the next generation.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

A picture of the La Tortuga the 44 foot MSV, was on the cover of the Benihana race program for 1976. Mine is in a box somewhere, but someone else may have access to a copy and post a picture.

No, I don't have all the answers. I was very lucky to come along at the time I did, and meet and race with some really great people. That is why I reached out to ask my friends to serve on this HORBA board, so that the correct answers would be available to the people who wanted to restore and operate these old race boats.

Remember, the boats are the stars, we are just taking care of them for the next generation.
any help you need i will be glad to help 848 448 3134 talk to you soon bruce
Old 01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Registered

La Tortuga at the Kings Grant Inn in Pt Pleasant NJ after winning the Benihana Grand Prix
I was in the crowd
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-la-tortuga-kings-grant-inn.jpg  

Last edited by ScottB; 01-12-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

I forgot all about Johnny Stanch and his 30 ft Panther. P34, Panther. Raced it in 1987 and still races it today.

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 01-12-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ScottB
La Tortuga
thanks for the photo now if i could just find one
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Registered

I love this stuff Phil Lewis in Needlenose pic1
Odell Lewis in boat # 70 A TURBINE BOAT pic 2
Bill Cooper pic 3 with the firt beak boat
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-needlenose.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-odel-lewis-turbine.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-bill-cooper-1968.jpg  

Old 01-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered

Photos are below and yes, that's Junior Johnson.

So I am very familiar with vintage cars and that whole approach is something I would like to bring over to this association as much as possible.

Now, one of the problems we see is the lack of the "real" things out there for restoration. If someone wanted to find a bunch of #3 drives they would have a problem. So do we allow the boats to run with a modern setup or even allow other drives, Konrad or Teagues to be used just so the boats can run?

Our first priority is to build an association where people can come and have fun on a weekend, not be hassled by restrictive rules....there is enough of that already out there.

I am trying to encourage the restoration, preservation and most important, the use of historic offshore race boats.

One of the nice things about our Board is that not only were they around for most of the old races, a lot of them were involved in buildng the actual race boats of the times.
One of the coolest aspects of Vintage racing is that not only does that sport bring out some cool cars out where they belong, sometimes you also get livings legends out with you! One of the best days a couple of years ago. Phil Hill running around Watkins Glen in a real 62 Ferrari GTO. At my age (33) I only know the name and "legend" of Hill from his and others writtings in Road & Track. Your association offers not only the chance for some of us to buy, play and keep these great boats alive. But I can also see some of the very people involved in the old races getting invovled, linking us mere mortals closer to them, heck we can even go out and play along with them!

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.