Notices

Zul 650's vs Merc 525's

Old 01-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Zul 650's vs Merc 525's

Originally Posted by Byrdman
What are you talking about......grumpy zuls stuff has been reliable for years.....he will NOT do anything that is not totally reliable....you can hold his stuff wide open just like some 525s....yet there more hp....please.......zul builds reliability!!!!....been doing it for years, have you ever heard of a complaint about Mr. Zul????....do your research prior to posting on such a name.....that would be like me saying Reggie Fountain is a idiot
I did not say any thing bad about zuls engines. Higher horsepower motors have more maintenence. That is a fact. It is hard to judge motors in a boat due to how hard we treat them, but a car is easy. Take a stock corvette and it will run fast for 200k miles. Take a 800HP zul motor or any other quality builders engine and it will run like a bat out of hell, but it won't go 200k miles. The big manufactures have the best machine shops in the world and millions of dollars in budget money for R & D. It goes for almost any motors. Try building a motor cycle engine at your local garage that can last as long as a stock suzuki, honda, yamaha or kawaski. It is not rocket science. You want to go fast, go to some one like zuls. You want to go long as possible between tear downs, stay factory.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
I did not say any thing bad about zuls engines. Higher horsepower motors have more maintenence. That is a fact. It is hard to judge motors in a boat due to how hard we treat them, but a car is easy. Take a stock corvette and it will run fast for 200k miles. Take a 800HP zul motor or any other quality builders engine and it will run like a bat out of hell, but it won't go 200k miles. The big manufactures have the best machine shops in the world and millions of dollars in budget money for R & D. It goes for almost any motors. Try building a motor cycle engine at your local garage that can last as long as a stock suzuki, honda, yamaha or kawaski. It is not rocket science. You want to go fast, go to some one like zuls. You want to go long as possible between tear downs, stay factory.
You are smoking meth amphatamines.......not a clue about what you are talking about....and to come back for more....oh well.......I have hammered down on many.......you can hammer on a zull same as a small block 350.....get it together man....they did not say 800 1000 1200.....they said some diaper boy 650s.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: zul 650's vs merc 525's

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
I am still shocked sometimes times at how well my 625 Zuls perform. I have the dyno sheets showing 648hp and 645hp each but they're really about 625 at the prop. The boat burns hardly any fuel, and will run like hell. I'd like to have him build another set for my next boat. More hp of course.
Hardly any fuel ????
Old 01-22-2006, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are smoking meth amphatamines.......not a clue about what you are talking about....and to come back for more....oh well.......I have hammered down on many.......you can hammer on a zull same as a small block 350.....get it together man....they did not say 800 1000 1200.....they said some diaper boy 650s.

Hey Tom ... tell him how you REALLY feel ......
Old 01-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Hey Tom ... tell him how you REALLY feel ......

Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered

What are you smoking ? Call Zulls, Sterllings, Tyler crockett or Bob Teague and ask if more horsepower requires more frequent tear down. The question that was asked was what was more reliable. If you want reliability than stay with a low horespower quality engine and you can almost run forever with no problems. The 525efi dynos at around 540hp, I am sure that Zulls is around 650hp. If you called Zulls and asked what would be more reliable, his 650 or his 850. I am sure it would be the 650 hp. Now put your crack pipe down and make the call.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
\

Alot of what you are saying is because of lack of knowledge or what you have been told. Perception from the factory builders such as MERC OR ILMOR is that they are the best. There are a few good builders such as ZUL that build just as reliable motors as factory. It's all about the size of the block and the parts used in a given application. Ive put on over 400 hours on twin TMP750's in a 2000 Sonic with great success. I liked them so much I put another set in my 4300 Nortech. I was thinking about going blower motors, but will probably opt for trip 750's in my next 4300. We have not touched them, they were built as reliable as any 500-525 efi from Merc. You pay for that R&D from the factory guys, and can get more reliable power from an expert engine builder for the same money, or sometimes less. Good luck in what you pick out. Jeff

Last edited by Jassman; 01-22-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you talking about......grumpy zuls stuff has been reliable for years.....he will NOT do anything that is not totally reliable....you can hold his stuff wide open just like some 525s....yet there more hp....please.......zul builds reliability!!!!....been doing it for years, have you ever heard of a complaint about Mr. Zul????....do your research prior to posting on such a name.....that would be like me saying Reggie Fountain is a idiot

well said
Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind the low hrs till top end refresh and the hrs till total rebuild on the Merc 900SC, and 1000SC.

So even Merc has limits to the longitivity on high HP motors.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Keep in mind the low hrs till top end refresh and the hrs till total rebuild on the Merc 900SC, and 1000SC.

So even Merc has limits to the longitivity on high HP motors.
DING DING DING....we have a winner! That is what I am trying to say. If the engines are equal in quality than the lesser horsepower will go longer before tear down.........which equals more reliable. So the 525efi would be more reliable than the 900sc. Zuls 650hp would be more reliable than his 1000hp. Bob teagues 650hp would be more reliable than his 850hp. When the funny cars and top fuel cars tear down after every pass, it is not because they have nothing better to do or that there engines are cheaply built , It is because when you build that kind of power, you have to stay on top of things. Where as the mild street car class tears down twice a year does not mean they have better motors, just less power. I will not waste any more space in this thread. If you want to know about horsepower and reliability, call Richie Zul or Tyler Crockett and they can explain it better than I.

Quick Reply: Zul 650's vs Merc 525's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.