Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine >

Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine

Notices

Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine

Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine

what are your advertising rates, cirrculation, and readership expectations?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:15 AM
BK
Registered

Originally Posted by Cockpitmag
There is NOTHING out there that covers just racing, and only racing......
..... but you should also be aware that the mag is going to cover all forms of powerboat racing, such as offshore, circuit, hydroplanes, drag boats etc etc

Apparently you haven't heard of www.worldofpowerboats.com ?

This mag sounds like it is the same thing you are planning.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Registered

BK - Actually I have, its owned and run by David Sewell out of the UK and it is only an ONLINE magazine now. David and I actually covered the first ever offshore race in Langkawi, Malaysia some years ago.

He doesnt print hard copies anymore because of problems with distribution from what I understand from a close source. And besides the majority of his coverage was Uk based with some of the Class I coverage thrown in.

And without giving too much away our mag is going to be miles ahead in quality and presentation and size - no offence to Davids mag.

Last edited by Cockpitmag; 02-09-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, good luck with the new magazine. The more, the better, I say. Powerboat has been without competition for so long, and print reading has been pretty much stagnent. It's nice to see new mags like EBM and now Cockpit Mag come onto the scene.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Ned, Best of luck with the mag. If you need anything from this end please feel free to drop me a line. Dave ( [email protected] )
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron - Ok I understand now. For the record this wont be my first time in publishing, I actually publish the worlds largest civil helicopter industry trade magazine called Heli Ops. www.heliopsmag.com

And have also recently launched its military helicopter industry counterpart called HeliTac so I know exactly how much work it involves

My two biggest passions in life are helicopters and powerboat racing and I actually used to shoot offshore racing for Seasports magazine in Dubai when it was going, made regular trips to the Middle East and Europe shooting the big boats, and also still keep my hand in by going and shooting some of the races we have here downunder in Australia and NZ. Heck we even have the old US Record Holder Jesse James down here, but it now has canopies on it.

Anyway one thing I do do and that is look after those that work with the magazine. To give you an idea I am going to Heli Expo in Dallas in a couple of weeks and am brining ten of my contributors from all corners of the globe to cover the event. I have taken my editor and his son on a trip through Monaco and the south of France and taking my deputy editor to Greenland in a few weeks, so those that put in the efforts reap the benefits. I spent a long time busting my ass as a photographer and journo and now I wear the hat of the other side - which is why I am determined to look after those that work on the mag.

Anyway enough of my ramblings - its going to be a great mag and if I can get some great people contributing to it then even better.

By the way - let me know if you want to do some writing for my mag as well, might as well maximize your time at the keyboard

Cheers

Ned

Congrats on your New venture Ned. If you have a passion for helos and offshore than you will really enjoy the new AMF Turbine Cats powered by twint53-703 (Cobra engines). Scotty B and I would be happy to keep your readers updated on the new Class in offshore racing.

Marc
Attached Thumbnails Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine-dsc02548.jpg   Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine-dsc02552.jpg  
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was dissapointed with Power Boat Mag. I am new to power boats and would really like to see some tech in the mag. Something simular to car Craft or Hot Rod. I would really like some articles geared towards the home mechanic. Hopefully your plan will include these kinds of articles.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your new magazine.
It sounds like you have what it takes to pull off this new venture.
Ron S.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buyafountain.com - If you want to compare what I am launching to Powerboat magazine, then go right ahead but you are heading down the wrong path.

As someone who has been a supporter of powerboat racing for the past 20 years I decided to do this mag because Powerboat magazine dropped its coverage of the sport. When Bob and family had the mag it was something great, then it gradually changed and even under the new owners has hardly got any true racing coverage in it.

I have been to races in the US, South Africa, Middle East, Europe and here in my own New Zealand and Australia and the support we have for this new magazine is enormous. There is NOTHING out there that covers just racing, and only racing. If you want to read a mag that has boat test after boat test, tests which just happen to be of boats made by their advertisers, then heck by all means go and buy Powerboat.

You say it might be a tough path, probably will be in the US, but the support we are getting from other countries will more than make up for it.

Havent read the thread you mention but obviously its offshore type people who have an issue with the media, but you should also be aware that the mag is going to cover all forms of powerboat racing, such as offshore, circuit, hydroplanes, drag boats etc etc, so if the offshore people wont support it, thats fine, we have plenty of other groups that are chomping at the bit to be involved. We sure as heck arent going to give coverage to any group that doesnt want it.

Hope that answers your question.

RonP - Bit confused. 3 Years ago ???

Cheers.
"If you want to read a magazine that has boat test after boat test....."

My point exactly. I don't think many people want/have time to read magazines. Please don't confuse my opinion. I am not trying to bash you, just let you know what many very influential people involved in the sport tell me. The biggest issue people have is the timing of a printed magazine vs. hourly updates available at a place like OSO.

I do wish you the best in your new venture, though.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, is Vapor Trails still being published ?

Quick Reply: Writers & Photographers Wanted for New Powerboat Racing Magazine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.