Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Look what I found out in a Barn !!! >

Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

Notices

Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

Old 03-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Re: Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

Yes...boost is the key here....but you would need to run 116 octane..........93 octane would end in detonation and then kaboom..!!!

Being new to this, it seems this guy Sharkey is some sort of living lengend........
Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because He KNOWS ALL................................
Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking Re: Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

Originally Posted by HuskerPerformance
Being new to this, it seems this guy Sharkey is some sort of living lengend........
Not me...

I'm just another retired Offshore Racer/Boat Builder that can't break the addiction of this sport...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

I just found out that the Ignore Option really works!!!

"This message is hidden because Hauling Trash is on your ignore list."

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Gearcase
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out law disk that might be the how sweet it is motors I think they had a set of those in 46 skater. carl myers was into race cars and race boats. they would beltch out some good flames when you get out of the throttle flying that skater.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 142 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Roflmao..... Jimmy and Henry.... are there any bullet holes in the backs of the heads?.... lmao
Geezz It only took 2 days for someone to get it! I figured the NY guys would get it sooner
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Registered

I'm thinking that an information source on these engines may be Mike D'anabelle at Sterling Performance. I believe that he worked with Bob Kaiser in the develpment of the small displacment turbo engines when he was at Mclaren. Did Kaiser then run in Europe with the turbo's?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Bill Gifford is to busy building Subs

Well, Bills been talking about it for years and now he's finally doing it....building a submarine. This page will be an online, ongoing journal of the progress we make over the next few months, years, or decades until the sub is finished. So it begins...
Submarine Project

Designer: Bill Gifford, Gifford Marine Inc.

Builder: Bill Gifford, Gifford Marine Inc.

Length: 33 feet

Power: diesel electric

Submarine
Journal

5/16/01 Two weeks ago I started to build my sub. I believe I can finish the project in a year or two. I don't believe my hard costs will exceed sixty thousand dollars US. And I do intend to keep a log of my time.

Main Pressure Hull After 1st Cut

Showing Keel and Rolling Chocks

I have chosen to use two new propane tanks to form the pressure hull. Each tank is made of A-516 grade 70-pressure vessel steel, .270 inch's thick. Both tanks were pressure tested to 325 pounds. They have a working pressure of 250 pounds and are ASME rated with a spec. Plate on each tank. I am installing three by one half-inch reinforcement rings every two-foot on center. Plus additional deck and bulkhead framing. The one-tank measures 17.6 ft. long and the other is 9 ft. I have cut a hole in the top of the larger tank, around that I intend to install the conning tower, which is made up of parts of the smaller tank and additional plate. I have cut the ends from the smaller tank and have connected them on each end of the larger tank for hard ballast. I have purchased a eighteen-foot by two foot by quarter inch pipe for the soft ballast tanks. The pipe was split log ways and will be attached to each side, to form the side tanks. The sub will have a displacement of approx. 18,000 lbs.
It will be powered by two 20 hp. Advanced electric motors and a 21Kw diesel generator. I hope to have an 8 to 10 knot cruising speed, surfaced and certainly more than I need submerged.

The sub hull is going to be similar in design to the WWII Class VII Submarine. The conning tower will be more along the lines of an American sub, except for the addition of the view ports. The periscope will be fabricated from a hydraulic cylinder with a small camera mounted in the top.

The diesel generator will take its air supply through a double valve pipe and the exhaust will exit the same way. In this fashion I will be able to build air pressure between the valves before submerging to prevent water from entering the engine. The generator will be keel cooled.

The sub will seat two people one behind the other. It will be controlled by an internal hydraulic unit operating external rams. I also intend to equip the sub with small underwater cameras in different locations so that both crew members can get a better view of there surrounding.

The overall length is 33ft. and the beam is 6ft. the draft should be approx. 2.5ft. The subs soft ballast will be approx. 18 percent. The bow and the stern will be free flooding and contain shafts, rudders, trim planes cameras etc:

Bill Gifford
Attached Thumbnails Look what I found out in a Barn !!!-giffordsub2.jpg  
Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

If you'd like to follow Bill's sub build, go here:

http://www.psubs.org/psub_pic/BillGifford5.html

Now........back to Sharkey's mystery motors......
Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Registered

Husker Performance, I Assume Your From Nebraska. I Know 1 Person In This Whole State That Would Have That Kind Of Knowledge. Is Your Name Kevin?

Quick Reply: Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.