Notices

Another stereo qestion

Old 03-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another stereo qestion

If I remember right, I believe that the REAR goes to the DVD/cabin and the front to the cockpit, try that.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have switched the preouts around. No change as far as volume. That is more for the 'zone' feature.
Should I be able to go directly from my preouts to the TV in's?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

What kind of TV, I'll look it up.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Sharp. It says the speakers are only 2.1 watts output.
I have tried every option with no difference. With the 2 cabin stereo speakers wired up, and the amp (rear/cockpit) turned off, There is just no volume coming froom the TV. The cabin speakers will run you out though.
My setup is that the cabin speakers are behind us when watching TV, so I thought by running the remaining preout audio jacks going directly to the TV, that the sound will come from the TV's speakers for a more realistic sound. Kinda like a center channel. Also tried differnt audio output setting in the radio setup menu, no difference either. When I have a DVD in and the volumes turned way up to hear the movie, if I hit the TV's TV/AV button changing over to regular TV mode, the volume goes thru the roof on the TV itself then. Is the audio output signal of the headunits preout, the same as what the output signal of a VCR, Video camera, CD player that would normally be connected to the TV's input? I know the TV's audio inputs worked the other day when I hooked up a home DVD player to it to try it out. But those don't have a volume control.

Thanks for all your help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6HnwR5i...284LC13S1U#Tab

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-19-2006 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Registered

I'll be out on the water most of the day, I'll check it out tonight and see if we can get some sounds to it.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Here's the installation diagram for the reciever itself. In boxes #2 & #3 it clearly shows the option of the front A/V output going to a front monitor, which is what I am doing. Not just the vidoe signal, but the audio too. My wiring is exactly like the top box in #2.

http://www.xplodsony.com/XPLOD_DOWNL...all_Manual.pdf

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-19-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered

Ok, either the hook up diagram is wrong or Crutchfield is. Try the REAR outputs for the DVD and see what happens. According to Crutch, the front should be run off to the "cockpit" amp. The Rear is always on DVD/CD mode and that should go into the TV, not the front outs. Let me know.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

I tried both F&R's. No change. I did spend a nice hr on the Sony tech line this afternoon . They said something about having to disable the TV's speaker amplifer. ALso talked to Bestbuys guys today. The car installer said to install a signal booster in the line between the radio and TV. That sounded more like a bandaid, but I don't want to have more gadgets plugged in anyway. At this point, I'm assuming the radio is not designed to send sound to a TV that has it's own sound amplifer, but just a set of speakers controlled only by the reciever in a 'monitor'.

SO, I just decided it would be best/safest and easiest to just install a smaller set of speakers up front where the TV will be and just use the TV as a video monitor, with all the sound going thru the reciever. At least now the sound won't be behind us with the screen in front. I can use the recievers F&R speaker wires for the cabin and just use the fade to keep the cabin speakers muted while listening to the rear.

Thanks again

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-19-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Registered

There is NO elegant solution for what you want to do. Unfortunately your TV is looking for a Non Variable output. This is why you have to turn up the stereo to Full volume to get a decent volume out of the TV. If the unit had a pair of "fixed" audio outputs on the stereo it would work fine. Your best bet is to do what you are doing. Just use your stereo speakers for the TV. You will get much better sound this way anyway. The down side is your TV remote will not work for volume. You could get a wired remote and mount it in the back for this if you want to. If you have further questions and want to talk directly, give me a call. I worked in the audio / video business for 20 years. (847) 336-5515 My name is John.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

John, That's the route I am now going to take. Listen thru the stereo, watch the TV. I'm going to put a switch on the 1 set of cabin speakers to turn them off when the amp is on powering the cockpit speakers. The other set can be controlled with the fader. This way I will be able to fade the 4 speakers in the cabin while watching TV, while the amp is off, so no sound in the cockpit. Peice of cake now. Thanks

Quick Reply: Another stereo qestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.