Notices

Why cant I bust 70mph?

Old 02-04-2002, 01:48 AM
NICKSLICK

Im running traditional 30 weight.

I notice that after a hard run, Im still dropping below 40psi, unless I bump them up to 1000rpms...

hmmmmmm...

No flame arrestors huh? Is it safe? Im looking for permanent solutions.

Old 02-04-2002, 02:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it works then buy K+N air filters. Mobil one at walmart like 21 bucks for 6 quart jug.
Old 02-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts
25lbs. of oil pressure is more than adequate at idle. Also, I agree with the others. Get rid of the Log exhaust. Going to even stock merc stuff through hull could add 2+ mph. You also need to get your rpms up to about 5000. The through hull will help, and also labbing the props will get it there.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:54 AM
packinair

sell it and buy a cat

Old 02-04-2002, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Ron said FIRST: What are your RPM's? If you are way low on R's you may need smaller props, if too high and hitting rev limiter then you may need bigger props. Buying labbed props until you find the right pitch and diameter is a waste of money.

Once pitch and diameter are found try using a CLEAVER and mayber 4 or 5 blade props as well. All contribute to over performance and handling. Remember that to gain in one area you may likely lose in another. For example, you may lose dock side handling capabilities. Start with your RPM's and go from there.

Shane
Old 02-04-2002, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nickslick this is sience that you are dealing with now. Seriously I am working on a place to stay out there for my next trip. Once I get all that figured out I will let you know when and then let me drive the boat and see what I can tell ya. We will get it out on a calm day or behind the break wall and see what we can do to get ya up were you want it to be. There may be some stuff we can do. First thing I would look at is get rid of the Log exhaust and go through hull. There were a couple of sets on EBAY that are worth a look at. I emailed you some info, and I know that there are lots of guys on the board that have them. I have one set I think that are good. I also have the remote Oil filter set up for the center riser. This you will love as it will get your filter up over the exhaust were it will be a piece of cake to get to. You can put that on your starboard motor so that you do not have to struggle to get the filter off any more. That has a Power steering and much larger oil cooler then you currently have. From there you can start to look at props if that does not help get the RPMS up. You should be looking for about another 200rpms out of that set up. However we have to make sure you are trimming it properly and all that good stuff.

Jon
Old 02-04-2002, 08:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

P.S. we had it going 68mph that day you and I had it out on GPS and I know you were not trimmed out all the way and it felt to me that the boat had a little over 70 in it so ......

Jon
Old 02-04-2002, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,

Talk to my friend Steve. He has a Scarab 29 with small blocks running in the mid 80's.

Here is what his looks like. http://www.gcoffshore.com/gco_files/P29a.htm
I am sure he could point you in the right direction.

Dave
Old 02-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Steve those new engines look great in your boat WOW what a nice job you did. I am sure you are glad that they are in there
Old 02-04-2002, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,
Do not wax the bottom!!! Get some different props and think about getting new exhaust.I lose 200 rpms at top end when I have my silent choice closed.Time to spend more money!!

BOAT=break out another thousand!!

Quick Reply: Why cant I bust 70mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.