Notices

Great Lakes water levels?

Old 05-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Great Lakes water levels?

You are lucky LG is up after the dismal snow fall you had there, lake MI may be up more if we wre not diverting so much to the Mississippi. They reason this way they do not have to dredge but soon we will be so low they will have to. The last 5 or more sumers have seen low rain fall, lots of sun and wind, this all adds up to evaporation, this and the fact we have not had a system snow storm in 5 years...lake effect takes away from the levels, some drains back but most is lost in the ground. Even lake Superior is down and they will not open the locks to let us have some, it makes sense though, the rush of water from this would errode the locks and also flush millions of cubic yards of sand and muck into the lake below, it was thrown around for a while but was proven to be more harmfull. Like said the water will come back but over the years it never comes up to the last high level and then goes down past the last low level so overall it is falling. Thats ok though, as the ice caps melt and the oceans rise we will have a huge catch basin for all the water pumped out of New York
Old 05-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Registered

Hope all this rain will help .. last week before it started was way low. Any lower and hi-lo's at marinas may have trouble - only so much travel... Think NOAA says +3 in June but they know as much as Army Corp Eng - or anyone off the streets guess... In 86 when water was at a all time high they said it would take 15 years of below avg. rainfall to lower the lake 1 ft ... it dropped 3 ft. in 2 seasons go figure. Seen a few stuck good already this year - Big Searay's doing dredging work and Bass boys ripping transoms as usual...

Mitch this Lake Mac fish thing is a mess - I had no idea there was that many fish in the lake Have heard half dozen explanations .. 20 deg temp rise in 2 wk period in April is DNR explanation... Army Corp dredged a lot for 4 weeks - who knows what they kicked-up .. maybe all the who knows what Chris Craft or Parke Davis dumped off Dutton Park. Heard they had similar fish prob on Lake St. Claire
Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I think we've had something like 3+ inches of rain or so in the last 4 days(Thursday thru Sunday). I would think the ground should be so saturated with water with all this rainfall that the Great Lakes water levels should be rising without too much trouble---at least I have my fingers crossed.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Registered

1000 Ilslands is low too. I think I better look for a spare drive.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered

They say that whether or not the Lakes freeze and stop evaporation during the cold months is much more critical to the levels than how much rain falls in the spring.

Spring rains can't recoup the sheer amount of evaporation over the cold months.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
1000 Ilslands is low too. I think I better look for a spare drive.
How low compared to last year?