Notices

twin engine docking tips?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by HavinATantrum
Never had or operated a Twin with Bravo 3's but always wondered if they operated or had the same manners around the dock as Bravo 1's. Can someone shed some experience?
Buddy of mine has a Formula 350 SS with Bravo III's. It has Axius so 99.9% of the time you are using the joystick to dock it. A couple of years ago just for shats and giggles I backed it using the shifters up to the outside of a friend's dock. I really didn't notice much difference in how it reacted compared to Bravo I's. You would really need to manuver two identical boats, other than the drives, to know for sure.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread...thanks to all who have shared their knowledge!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone ever docked a v hull with twin i/o in a tight spot like this guy ? Post your videos. http://youtu.be/W36rDKl4T5s @1:10.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by MOP
I taught boat handling for 6 years included in the mix were some nasty powered ones, most I/O's tend to have the engines set to close for good up close maneuvering and are usually far better off docking on one engine. Try one engine docking and you will see little to no difference using either engine, the plus is you will get into less trouble as things happen in a more manageable fashion. I/O boats will always go in the direction the drive is turned steering works better then shifting. For one reason or another most boats have one engine that never dies and one that can be finicky, I always told my clients do your docking with the finicky one, if it craps out there is -0- panic simply grab the reliable ones shifter and finish docking. Using that practice has stood well by many of my customers over the years, try it many will find it may make your life easier.

Phil
This has got to be one of the dumbest bits of docking advice that I have ever heard.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

just watch out for these guys

http://youtu.be/3pmQn3lBhIY
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by griff
this has got to be one of the dumbest bits of docking advice that i have ever heard.
+100.....
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

We were presented with a similar situation when we visited my brother-in-law. Never had twins before, but his advice was basically get it to open water on the lake with no other traffic and get a feel for slowly turning in place, side docking, forward docking, etc. Just practice going slowly driving a bulldozer/tank, and you'll be fine. Worked for us.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HavinATantrum
Never had or operated a Twin with Bravo 3's but always wondered if they operated or had the same manners around the dock as Bravo 1's. Can someone shed some experience?
Several of my dock buddies have cruisers with twins B3's. Night and day difference handling/ docking from us with twin B1's or Alphas. So much better.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Several of my dock buddies have cruisers with twins B3's. Night and day difference handling/ docking from us with twin B1's or Alphas. So much better.
Good to hear, looking at a formula 28ss and it has B3's. Have experience with single and twin Bravos but wondered if the B3's pivoted better, and tracked straighter or worse. Sounds like better which is great news. Thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Someone once told me to "drive it like a BobCat" Problem is.....I never drove a Bob Cat!

But that did help me to understand what the boat will do when shifting back and forth with port and starboard motors/drives.

I still find most of the time best just to use both motors/drives and the wheel. If in tight quarters I do know how to spin a 360.

Quick Reply: twin engine docking tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.