NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers >

NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers

Notices

NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers

Old 06-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers

Thanks guys.....this is just something that was going to happen anyway, I just was here at the right time.

These old championship boats are going to be worth a lot of money someday. Think back in time and you can remember when you had a chance to buy an original Cobra for $5,000. Now try to touch it for 10 or 20 times that.

It happened in sportscars and muscle cars and it is going to happen to these old offshore boats too. But the real reason is the people who love the memories....they can remember seeing this boat run as a kid. Now a whole new generation has the chance to see and hear them again.

These motors sounded so much stronger than the boats around them. They really drew some attention when they rapped the throttles. Just the nice clean lines of the old racers set them apart from the multi-colors of today. They really have a classic and timeless look about them.

We have an extensive photo library to keep these memories alive. We even have shots of the original Dry Martini, which was a 36 foot Cigarette.Top photo. Dr Bonomi switched over when they tested a new 35 foot , bottom photo, and could see how much better they were.
Attached Thumbnails NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers-offshore-history0013-small-.jpg   NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers-offshore-history0015-small-.jpg  
Old 06-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie, thanks for putting this together. We had a great time and Dry Martini ran like a champ from start to finish. We even held the lead at the start for a few seconds. Then we got blown away by the modern machines..

Look for a great article in a future issue of Extreme Boats Magazine.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Charlie you hit the nail on the head. When I was a ten year old I met Richie Powers and his sister at Cowes (1974). To finally meet team members from a sport I was crazy about was thrilling for me. The great thng is that through sites like this you come to realise that you weren´t actually alone as a child with a passion for offshore. Maybe things were a lot different in the US, but in Cowes where I grew up there only appeared to be 2 other kids and me interested - something I could never work out ´cos to me they were the most fantastic, passion inspiring things in life. The start of the Cowes race must have been akin to the Benihana Race - witness one of those and you had your fix for the whole year!!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:38 AM
Registered

For those who have sharp eyes, you will notice that the driver of Dry Martini for this event is none other than our own Ron P.

Also had a nice chat with Lucidee about her hero Betty Cook. Lucidee is part of that generation that remember these boats when they were the best in the world.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great "Then and now" of the Dry 35'!
The restoration of the old 35' is very good and we travel on a time machine like a back in the....future!
Many Thanks Top!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Registered

This is an interesting photo. Do you think the guys in the Top Gun realize that their Grandaddy is right next to them?

They took the old 35 model and stretched it to become the 37.6 Top Gun. Look at the heritage lines of the two boats together. Now that is a classic and timeless design.
Attached Thumbnails NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers-nyc-poker-run-2006-064-large-.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 401 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
This is an interesting photo. Do you think the guys in the Top Gun realize that their Grandaddy is right next to them?

They took the old 35 model and stretched it to become the 37.6 Top Gun. Look at the heritage lines of the two boats together. Now that is a classic and timeless design.
Aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Banana...That is my 36' Warlock Cat Next to Dry Martini. Man was that boat amazing to see and hear (LOUD ). And if RonP was the guy who backed it into that spot...He has some serious talent with those crash boxes. Great Job at the event!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Unfortunately, they probably have no clue...
probably thinking..."geez, thats one old boat."

Old 06-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing -
How much of an impact on a sport could one guy make. That DA was one of a kind.

Quick Reply: NYC Poker Run with Historic Racers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.