Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Etiquette at the Docks . . . . >

Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Notices

Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

I would not touch someone elses boat with out their consent and help nor would I raft off it with out the same. On the other hand when I am at the dock first I am always within eye sight of my boat because I don't want anyone to be f********n with it. You wouldn't only get shot in Texas don't try that here n Jersey.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Registered

Tough call. You wouldn't think there would be anything wrong with it, but some people can be real touchy about that kind of stuff, remember they were there first.

I'm not saying you were wrong, but I think every effort needs to be made to locate the owner of the vessel you want to move.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see a problem with it. Sometimes it's the only option. Naturally, the one requirement is a proper tie-off. I don't have a problem with it. I've done it, and It's been done to me, it's no big deal.

FO's right though, there are some really sensitive azzholes out there.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Registered

if everyone at the dock were as serious about their boat as the guys here, then it is not a big deal.
Difficult part is you do not necessarly know who is who on the water. On the dock where I keep a slip year around people often retie or slightly move each others boat, no one thinks twice about, it, but everyone knows each other too....
Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
in Texas we would have shot you
That would cover it for me...I'm not big al all on even broching someone elses boat never mind moving it at the docks without the owners consent.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Registered

I'm not sure I would want someone else moving my boat. But, I'm real considerate about parking. I will park as far forward or back as I can in the chance another boat may need space. If a dock is 40' long and you have a 40' boat, by all means take up all the space. On the other hand if you hava a 25' boat, don't park in the center where noone else can tie up also. I have seen that happen many times and have been very tempted to move the boat myself.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

I would have to say that I would not want anyone touching my rig. When I dock I do the best job I can to tie up in the right spot so that I won't have to be moved. The only time I don't mind is when I am rafted in a long row. Then I just put out the towels on the hatch and hope for the best.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im on the fence..I dont care for the idea of moving someones boat . I did move someones boat once as they had completely blocked me in so I couldnt leave (his bad). If a spot can Barely accomadate my boat im moving on ..Id rather not worry about the boats smashing together while Im having a cocktail. So Id say in certain situations it may be ok but most of the time its not.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was tied up at a poker run on lake travis, and my boat was at the end of the tie up. The 2nd to the end guy was leaving, untied my boat and freakin drove off. My boat was left to float off. I look down from the restaurant, and thank god another boater jumped in the lake and swam over to grab my ropes. he got it back about the time it took me to run down there.

Thats the problem i would have. If i knew someone would tie it up properly, no problem, but unfortunately i dont trust anyone now.

And on top of that, i wouldnt want to be responsible for tying someone elses boat up. what if something happened to it?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 514 Likes on 233 Posts

This wouldn't fly with me I dont wont ANYBODY moving my boat unless I'm there.You wouldn't go in somebodys car and move it if you couldn't get into a parking spot would you.

Quick Reply: Etiquette at the Docks . . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.