Notices

burnt boat

Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: burnt boat

Originally Posted by ITLLFLI
Wow! I'm glad yours was spaired! When did this happen? It seems a lot has been burning at cumberland lately! Did you hear about the 5 houseboats that burned to the water at Lees Ford Marina?
it happened on july 10 at around 1 am
we went down last weekend and checked the houseboats down at lees ford
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
I have seen more boats burn from battery chargers than anything else. I have seen homes..one on Lk MI, burn from an unattended charger. Over the 4th I was in the UP at the cottage, I hooked the charger to the jet ski battery and went on working. Well I was at the marina, hours later, on the boat when I see a big puff of smoke coming from the cottage area...I freak out because I had left the charger on!!! I jump in the boat, race over to the cottage and run up the beach to see some tool burning brush, the charger was still on and ok and the garage, 3 jet skis, 4 snowmobiles and tons of other stuff were fine. I almost had a heart attack getting there, thinking the whole time how my week was ruined by this stupid mistake. Now I have them on a timer, set it for an hour and at least then I know if I forget it will be ok. In the picture I see a stringer that is still ok so the insurance co should try to fix it.
Does that go for car trickle charges too? I leave mine plugged in all the time in my garage when Im not using the car.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Registered

This one was in a boat house that was hit by lightning. It burned below the water line in a few spots.
Attached Thumbnails burnt boat-dsc01746.jpg   burnt boat-dsc01745.jpg   burnt boat-dsc01747.jpg  

Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sellsman11
This one was in a boat house that was hit by lightning. It burned below the water line in a few spots.

Just a few spots.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered

A trickle charger would put out much less juice and should be ok but if the battery gets hot it could still explode. I don't use the triclke charge for a huge amount of time and if i do it is in a safe place where if the thing goes it will do little damage.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
I have seen more boats burn from battery chargers than anything else. I have seen homes..one on Lk MI, burn from an unattended charger.
Second that. Happened across the street from me once. Battery being charged in a boat in a garage- burnt the boat, the truck, the garage, the house AND the house next door to the ground.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sellsman11
Frankie,

Is JJ thinking of pulling those drives for himself? J/K