Questions about the Mercury Racing 525 >

Questions about the Mercury Racing 525

Notices

Questions about the Mercury Racing 525

Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Pair
Be careful where you buy new heads. I believe Merc heads for the 525 have a special exhaust bolt pattern.
Is that why we are screwed with CMI only headers?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Edelbrock will not talk about that head at all, the tech line only said it was private label and is not the same as any of their heads. Hinted that ports may be moved to customers request. Who knows but a new one from Mercury is about 2k list. CRAZY

I was going to get a 2nd head and build a new motor but Innovation marine talked me into doing a full CNC on my heads and intake to achieve the power lever I was looking for cheaper.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to be clear, the heads are designed per Mercury specs, Edelbrock is the mfg but they are not the same as Edelbrocks big block heads. The runners are very different with the Mercury Racing head vs a standard Edelbrock head. They also have different exhaust bolt pattern and the water passage and boss on the front of the head.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Registered

Very different head than any Edie head that I have seen. All the sharp edges are stress relieved and the bowls are hand blended. Very nice head.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gordo
For some of you Merc repair shops...
The Mercury Racing 525 has been out for a few years now and are out of warranty. This being the case I am starting to get a few customers with this engine asking about freshening the heads. While reading all the mass hysteria in the racing and general discussion forums concerning the DQ of a SuperV Fountain, I noticed a statement in there about Mercury Racing never planes or decks their heads, they are always replaced. Do I need to tell my customers that the Merc Racing 525 heads can not be resurfaced? If this is indeed true, and Merc Racing replaces all 525 heads, what happens to all those old heads? Can they be bought somewhere? If a certified shop pulls the head for whatever reason under warranty, and the head surface had any minor imperfection, did Merc Racing warranty the head?
If they were still using the 525 in Factory racing, I'm thinkin that would make a factory rebuild close to $10k. Ouch!
what about the 525 long blocks you can get thru bam marine,,,there about 10K,with a good return,,,has anybody ever used them,,,and where are they rebuilt at,mercury racing???
Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
what about the 525 long blocks you can get thru bam marine,,,there about 10K,with a good return,,,has anybody ever used them,,,and where are they rebuilt at,mercury racing???
Are these Merc-Racing long blocks? Or GM 500/502 crate engines?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 731 Likes on 377 Posts

4 top exhaust bolts were moved back about 3/8th's of an inch.heads can be drilled and tapped for a stand bbc pattern.
as far as ports,exhaust ports are nicer,intakes look really close.guess i'll break out the inside calipers and check.
Heads can be decked.We've fixed alot of them for leaking exhaust(water).Just need 2 more heads and I'll be putting some on my boat.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Mecury has a seperate division for the remanufacturing. They are the ones that make the 383 and 357 engines and the rest of the Mercury reman & CPO stuff. The remanufactured 525 longblocks come from them. So --- done by part of Mercury but not done by Mercury racing. Like most of the consumer product they have a 1 year factory warranty.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
4 top exhaust bolts were moved back about 3/8th's of an inch.heads can be drilled and tapped for a stand bbc pattern.
as far as ports,exhaust ports are nicer,intakes look really close.guess i'll break out the inside calipers and check.
Heads can be decked.We've fixed alot of them for leaking exhaust(water).Just need 2 more heads and I'll be putting some on my boat.
s30,
Can you elaberate on the "4 top exhaust bolts were moved back about 3/8th's of an inch.heads can be drilled and tapped for a stand bbc pattern" What exhaust did you use after this mod? Do you have any pics you could post?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Just to be clear, the heads are designed per Mercury specs, Edelbrock is the mfg but they are not the same as Edelbrocks big block heads. The runners are very different with the Mercury Racing head vs a standard Edelbrock head. They also have different exhaust bolt pattern and the water passage and boss on the front of the head.
Dustin
Have you tried Dart's head with Mercury 525/600/700 Header and coolant flanges?
Thanks
Steve

Quick Reply: Questions about the Mercury Racing 525

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.