Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Center Console or Go Fast? >

Center Console or Go Fast?

Notices
View Poll Results: What would you rather have in a 38' boat?
38 Center Console
49.07%
38 Go Fast
50.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Center Console or Go Fast?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Center Console or Go Fast?

Cente console w 2 stroke Mercs that sound like big blocks !!!
Attached Thumbnails Center Console or Go Fast?-midnight-inlet-4.jpg   Center Console or Go Fast?-new-arch-midnight-2-large-.jpg   Center Console or Go Fast?-midnight.jpg  

Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Your friend could get or already probably has an endorsment if he plays with artist's of that calibre. What is his name?

the kit in my avitar with hardware and Zildjian or Paiste or Sabian high end cymbals would probably sell at a dealer somewhere around $7-9k. It had a lot of products on it.

take care, Mike
Just sent you a PM - he's all hooked up, I was just asking for my own curiosity, thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to go canyon fishing on my best friend's 31 contender w twin 275's and it would run 60 mph. We would put 300 hrs a year running out to the Hudson Canyon 110 miles each we and back. That boat would handle any seas up to 8 footers and we would often out fish the 50 and 60 foot custom sportfish yachts next to us. I am still amazed at what we did with that 31 cc and my only complaint ever was that there was very limited seating. After ten years of fishing and we were very successful ( several hundred Yellowfin tuna and Mahi Mahi, 4 Swordfish, 2 large Thresher sharks, 2 Blue Marlin both over 450 lbs, and 1 White Marlin ) my friend and I decided to get into Go Fast Boating. I bought an 03 Cig Top Gun and he bought an 06 Top Gun. We have had the best time this summer on our new boats. We both did the Connecticut Mohegan Sun Poker Run and loved it. There is nothing quite like the thrill and rush of a go fast boat.

However, I must say that boating is very specif to ones lifestyle and location. If I lived in Florida I would buy a brand new 38 Fountain LX w triple Verado 275's. This boat runs awesome in any condition, it is quiet, great fuel economy, looks good, lots of seating , goes fast 70 + mph, can fish or cruise or scuba dive. Up here in New England we boat on Long Island sound. The fishing has become so so which doesn't interest me any longer. My friend is recently divorced and living the wild single life and he loves his new Cig. I am a total gear head and enjoy working on the boat just as much as running it. Unfortunately I am a family man and while my five year old daughter likes to go faster than I do, my new Cig isn't the best family and friends kind of boat. There just isn't enough room for the kind of boating that my family and I would get more satisfaction out of. I hate to use this word, but the future may hold a CRUISING style boat. Don't get me wrong, there was many a long trip back from the canyons where all I could think off was ripping around on a 38 Top Gun. If it was just me I would yank my engines and drop a pair of the new 700's in a heart beat. It was actually my wife who told me to get a go fast now and quit whining. I can just see that when we are out parked in some cove on the cig how much more comfortable everyone would be in a different kind of boat.

I don't know if this helps anyone but I definitely think that location plays a big part of the type of boat one should get. My friend and I are also in two different situations in life and that also plays a big role. For now I have my go fast and luvin every second of it. So if you live near Long Island sound lets go rip it up.

Jay
SCREW IT
Old 07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Very good and truthful points ScrewIT.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto - it's all about what makes YOU happy, and fits your needs / style of boating.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:18 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

screw it... excellent points.
I live on LI sound and not a fan of the fishing here.
And w/ fuel costs runnin to the canyon is getting rediculous.
You could fly to Cabo rent a boat for 2-3 days and come back for not much more... figuring your in a 50-60 sf burning 90gph @ 30mph.

And i hear ya w/ the little ones... 2,6,7 myself.
Maybe a cruiser(or better a magnum or baia) and a smaller single engine go fast would fill the needs. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Come on man. What is this poll BS? If you want a go-fast, just keep what you got and go out and get yourself one. What's the trouble? I thought you were a big baller and all. You could probably sell enough shoes, hats, and handbags on EBay to pay cash for a 42 Lightning and nobody would even notice (it's an inside joke). Seriously, remember our conversations a few years back about bilge diving, maintenance issues, and reliability? Those are the things that drove you away from the go-fast in the first place. Plus, it's not like the boat you have now is slow. It is faster than 99% of the boats on the bay. My advice, be thankful for what you have and enjoy the hell out of it, it's an awesome boat.

Mike
Old 07-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BigMike
Come on man. What is this poll BS? If you want a go-fast, just keep what you got and go out and get yourself one. What's the trouble? I thought you were a big baller and all. You could probably sell enough shoes, hats, and handbags on EBay to pay cash for a 42 Lightning and nobody would even notice (it's an inside joke). Seriously, remember our conversations a few years back about bilge diving, maintenance issues, and reliability? Those are the things that drove you away from the go-fast in the first place. Plus, it's not like the boat you have now is slow. It is faster than 99% of the boats on the bay. My advice, be thankful for what you have and enjoy the hell out of it, it's an awesome boat.

Mike
HAHA...were the heck have you been? I gave some of her shoes away and she never noticed..... You're right about the bildge diving...I enjoy the boat...I just have a serious problem as you might have guessed!
Actually this poll is not for me...I was asked to post it for some R&D for someone.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If your family hates boating then its easy; you buy what makes you happy and f^ck em. But when your five year old wants to go faster than you; buy a 45 Maximus for Monday thru Friday and a house boat for Saturday and Sunday!!!

Last edited by Screw IT; 07-27-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Registered

Yes for a serious boater you really need 2 boats at the minimum.

Quick Reply: Center Console or Go Fast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.