Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decent GPS Unit??? How Much? >

Decent GPS Unit??? How Much?

Notices

Decent GPS Unit??? How Much?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Decent GPS Unit??? How Much?

Originally Posted by Panic Button
I looked at the 376 and 478. The only differance from those and the 276, is that they can interface with xm weather (for $49/month) for an overlay and can use a digital depth sounder (about $500). The 478 also can use the new BlueChart 2g maps. I couldn't see spending an extra $5-700 for something I wouldn't use. The 478 comes preloaded with maps, but you can buy the CD for $100 and a 512mg memory card is $100. I use 2 cards and have the North American DVD loaded on one card and all the BlueCharts loaded on the other.
So is it better to just get teh 276 and buy the maps for $100 and the memory card for $100. That would basically cost about $700+.

Seems like the 478 can be had for about $950 and wouldn't need the memory chip or the maps right?

My main concern is that it shows in depth water charts, rocks, and stuff like that.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gotime34
I just bought and installed the Garmin 3205...I absolutely love it. This is one of the ones you're talking about that comes pre-loaded with all the charts...everywhere. It also comes with a dash mount kit. It does everything but jerk you off while your driving. The next one up is the 3206, but I think the only major difference is that it has 3 video outputs so that you can mount cameras in the bilge, back of the boat, etc, but I think its like a grand more. I got the 3205 at www.gpsdicount.com I think it was $949.00
how much for the upgrade to the one that jerks you off while your driving, im very interested, thx, rm
Old 08-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its like 500 bucks...but christ for that much I could just get a full time hooker or JC to ride with me...being that its free reacharounds and all.