Notices

What would you do

Old 08-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What would you do

two things come to mind, the first is evident, its a contract

Second, is it possible he 'thought' it was in gear and throttled up to hard?
High rpms? higher hours? kaboom
Now what if he just backed off the trailer, idled out to open water, and throttled up, with the drives still in trailer mode-or not trimmed in enough for proper planning attitude, once again, Higher rpms, higher hours?

These are just a couple 'accidents' that 'could' have happened to cause premature failure and is absolutly no responsibility other then the person driving,
Marc, this bites, and i know as a personal person as yourself and wanting to help others out, but the possibilites are endless.
What next, he rebuilds motors, and then the drive goes? He comes back to well, I only had 30 minutes of run on them -- you paying??
I am going through something similar with a recently sold house, new owner wants me to replace this and that. Saying he did not 'see' it prior.
Well this is the same owner that did not see the missing refrigerator in the kitchen and wondered why I took it out. Never had it to begin with.

Hope all works out, but imho if yo uare compelled to help them I would cap your expenditures to parts only, and that in itself could lead to over a grand
Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whirlwind
I know Mark,and he loved that boat,and he takes care of his stuff.I also know that he is a Gentleman and a man of his word.The guy bought a performance boat with over 400 hrs on it,was informed of its condition,wet tested,etc,its his baby,thats the chance you take when you buy used. I bought a used Top Gun with Vor Techs on it,took a huge risk,so far so good,I love it. But I also took my Mechanic with me,twice,leak down and many other tests done before the deal was made. If it was me,I would offer some help,but I would suggest the new owner agree to sign an agreement that the offer to help at agreed amt is final,if he *****es after that,Mark has a good faith agreement they both signed,back to business as usual.1000 sounds right to me,he ran the boat after the problem arose,big mistake,most of us know better than that.
Well put.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant really give you a definitive answer but I can offer up my experience.
I sold my 03' 30' Kachina to my buddy Don in Vegas and within a month he popped a 496 HO which was still under warranty, I felt bad this happened to him so i lined up the repair and met him half way from vegas to get the boat to Prescott AZ to be repaired, I guess the best thing to do is help this guy until your concious is satisfied you have done your best to make it right or until he becomes a pain or ungracious of your efforts.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

I doubt you're obligated by law to do anything. But, I'd work with the guy and the $1000 offer sounds reasonable to me. He needs to take some responsibility for continuing to run the motor when it was "ticking". It just backs up what most people already know.....that you're a class act.

All that being said, be aware the guy may be completely unappreciative and as Craig pointed out, he may join a boating message board and still M-F you.

But, the reward is knowng you did what you felt was the right thing and certainly more than you were required to do.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why there's a quarter-million-plus difference between a new Top Gun and a pristine used one. You want new, you want warranties- you have to pay.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

as is means as is, it sucks that happened, but you sold him a used boat with a lot of hours on the motors. any eng the has 400+ hours is a canidate for a full rebuild of the engines. i assume you sold the boat for a dollar amount that was fair for for a boat with that many hours on the engines, if thats the case he's on his own if you do help him you are a nicer guy than most, ive had similar things happen i didn't go back to the seller with my hand out, i bought as is, end of story.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, are you sure the photos are of your motor? And if so I think you should replace this boat with a brand new Cig. with merc 1075s, pay for his trip up to Michigan and his 1st tank of gas. But before doing all of that make him sign a contract that whenever you or your OSO buddies are in Fl. he has to take us out on the new boat, wherever we want to go and he will pay for the gas and pick up the bar tab. JB
Old 08-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

180 Hours on a topend and 600 known hours on an HP engine - it was inevitable.

If you got top $, I don't think $1k is enough, but he does bare some responsibility for running an engine with a broken lifter -which I would guess will be found out to be the cause of the broken cam.

Tough spot with no winners unless the purchaser "stole the boat" and now will be in it for fair market value.

Best wishes to all.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new Cigarette in 1987, it was pricey and came with a warranty. The boat never broke.
Two years ago I bought a 1998 Comanche. Used with no warranty.
I had it surveyed...A+ rating. I have not used the boat yet, but when I do and if it breaks I will fix it. I just don't see how I can hold the guy I bought the boat from responsible for a unforeseen mechanical failure. I bought a used boat at a used boat price, that's it.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
Mark,

I doubt you're obligated by law to do anything. But, I'd work with the guy and the $1000 offer sounds reasonable to me. He needs to take some responsibility for continuing to run the motor when it was "ticking". It just backs up what most people already know.....that you're a class act.

All that being said, be aware the guy may be completely unappreciative and as Craig pointed out, he may join a boating message board and still M-F you.

But, the reward is knowng you did what you felt was the right thing and certainly more than you were required to do.

My thoughts exactly. The guy boat a used boat, you have no obligation to do anything, but I would personally make an effort to help him out with the repair. I think the $1K is a good start. Your reputation is important--you never know when it will help you or hurt you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.