Ilmor 700 vs. Mercury 700?

Notices

Ilmor 700 vs. Mercury 700?

Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Default Re: Ilmor 700 vs. Mercury 700?

Valvetrain ie: everything associated with valves.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin32
yes you can but the torque numbers are 1150 and higher can you do that in a sbc and torque is what you want in a boat motor
torque CURVE is what is important, not just plain torque. Torque is what all motors produce. Some more, some less, some at higher revs, some at lower revs, some have flat curves, some have peaky curves. A marine motor is a pure loading environment. No gears to run thru, no manual clutch to control the slip, no custom torque converter to let it get the revs up. Marine motors require a pretty flat torque curve else you never get the boat to plane with any authority.

Can a Viper motor make big numbers? Sure.
But sustained extreme loading at high revs is the norm in a marine application. I've already been told by a reputable source that the V10 crankshaft and bearing sizes are not a good choice for a big blower pulley on the snout. High revs, a fairly long crankshaft and the harmonics that go along with it give you a situation where adding a 70 horsepower torsion load and a 300 pound vertical thrust load on the snout of the crank (from the blower drive) is creating a situation that might not be a great idea.

Turbo marine motors are a little more esoteric and out of the mainstream than blower motors, but would indeed be an option.

Back to the discussion here, the current state of the V10 development cycle gives you a platform that will yield around 800 horses before you get into some territory that causes you some financial pain.

5 years may be a different story.
We've had since the early 60's to develop the BBC.

So, yeah, go ahead and put a couple of fat cammed blown 1200 horse V10's in a Cig Tiger and turn it loose for a couple of hard running days. I'm as interested in the next guy to see what breaks first.

All this talking is making me hungry to see some broken crank snouts and holes in oil pans. Nothing like a 40 pound balancer and blower pulley ricocheting around the bilge at 5500 rpm.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it when mcollinstn gets his teeth into a topic.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
torque CURVE is what is important, not just plain torque. Torque is what all motors produce. Some more, some less, some at higher revs, some at lower revs, some have flat curves, some have peaky curves. A marine motor is a pure loading environment. No gears to run thru, no manual clutch to control the slip, no custom torque converter to let it get the revs up. Marine motors require a pretty flat torque curve else you never get the boat to plane with any authority.

Can a Viper motor make big numbers? Sure.
But sustained extreme loading at high revs is the norm in a marine application. I've already been told by a reputable source that the V10 crankshaft and bearing sizes are not a good choice for a big blower pulley on the snout. High revs, a fairly long crankshaft and the harmonics that go along with it give you a situation where adding a 70 horsepower torsion load and a 300 pound vertical thrust load on the snout of the crank (from the blower drive) is creating a situation that might not be a great idea.

Turbo marine motors are a little more esoteric and out of the mainstream than blower motors, but would indeed be an option.

Back to the discussion here, the current state of the V10 development cycle gives you a platform that will yield around 800 horses before you get into some territory that causes you some financial pain.

5 years may be a different story.
We've had since the early 60's to develop the BBC.

So, yeah, go ahead and put a couple of fat cammed blown 1200 horse V10's in a Cig Tiger and turn it loose for a couple of hard running days. I'm as interested in the next guy to see what breaks first.

All this talking is making me hungry to see some broken crank snouts and holes in oil pans. Nothing like a 40 pound balancer and blower pulley ricocheting around the bilge at 5500 rpm.

You are correct in assuming the cranks of the V10 are probably not good for over 800 hp, but the new 7-10 is not the same engine as the viper or the 625. It is completely different with a high dollar parts. This engine is a all out race engine. The block is the only original part of the 625 block assembly. The engine is very capable of making huge reliable hp and yes even the addition of a blower if ever needed. I doubt it will be seen in the near future as this engine has capability of in excess of 800hp in its original form.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: Ilmor 700 vs. Mercury 700?

Sure got a lot of people here with all the inside info on the new Ilmor 7-10. How about laying the new price of this motor on us so we can evaluate that little detail !!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told it list in the high $40K
Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
I was told it list in the high $40K
That dog will hunt.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Banned

sounds like Raylars new motor is the ticket , efi, closed cooling big cubes 1 year warranty, awesome looking and affordable.