Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Let's look at it from a business model point of view. The Bravo's are a parts powerhouse for Mercruiser. It is good enough to send out there and warranty for a year, knowing that most of them will be stored for an extended period in the off season and only used on weekends during the summer. On performance boats most will not be taking extended cruises, just short trips and the occasional full throttle run. A year goes by pretty fast and cha-ching, it might be time to buy more gears, bearings, housings, gimbal rings, etc. Back that up with a huge corporation with incredible advertising dollars, a super sized distribution network, and affordable financing on the new boats and all of a sudden you are number one! Many jobs from the manufacturers and extra overtime for the boat owner so he can get going again!

Now to address the comparison of performance. Just do a little research (great thing this internet) and you can find out which propulsion system is the best in value, efficiency and speed. Just don't purchase Arneson stock because they don't have or need that huge pile of replacement parts for repairing failed products.

Last edited by Boatfixr; 10-26-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

I've been intrigued with Arneson's since I first read about them, many, many years before I got into this silly sport. My fascination with surface piercing drives is the main reason I bought my Formula. If it had been rigged with the conventional Trs's, I probably wouldn't even have looked at it, even though I like Trs drives.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered

I don't think this is like watching a Ford and a Chevy guy argue as I do not believe that it is purely a matter of personal preference.

Arnesons are conceptually more advanced and more efficient drives than both the Bravo and #6. People can prefer Merc stuff all they want, for all kinds of reasons, but this remains a fact...
Old 10-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,121 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
Asd7m
Prop covers???
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,121 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by pb
Here is an interesting application for Arnesons.
those almost look like KAAMA drives
Old 10-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Registered

Do skaters ever need positive trim?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Great thread....Sounds very much like there are those who actually have experienced a boat with Arneson's and those who have not. I don't here much negative from anyone that's really been in or ran one??

After running Tony Adams 382 recently I am very impressed with the perfomanmce and handling of that boat. 110 w/800 hp..handles awsome, ~ 200 hard hrs with not an issue!! That is hard to argue with.

It doesn't take an Hydro Dynamic's Engineering degree to figure out it's not real efficient to stick a tree stump in the water and try to drag it around...(and two??)

KL
Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

pb: Is that boat using something like the IMCO splitter box?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
pb: Is that boat using something like the IMCO splitter box?
No. No IMCO in that boat. They made their own setup with a single engine, dual drives.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The same drive, the same trim level the same boat. Add a rudder and all things change? Please. Get some experience and get back to us. The rudder does not enable the drive to be trimmed higher than without one. A rudder might be good for a race boat but I can tell you for a fact (EXPERIENCE) that they are not for a pleasure boater.

I can personally attest to the above statement. I had fixed surface drives with rudders on my 42' deep v pleasure boat. It was not a pleasure to dock, it sucked. Drove fine at cruise speeds. But would be a handful near top end. The stern would lift and bow steer. I ran this set up for over five years.

Last year:

I finally got around to installing an old pair of Arnesons that I had purchased used. It was a big job, but very straight forward.
Now it docks just as easy as any other boat I have owned. I have a higher cruise speed, burn less fuel (as per floscan)
and if I want to ring her out it goes in the same direction I want it to.

Quick Reply: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.