Notices

Do propellers wear out?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Do propellers wear out?

Yes, cryo treatments work well on stainless steels. It relieves stress, and can harden and toughen the metal beyond an ordinary heat treatment.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chryo treatment is something that needs to be done by someone who has the right equipment and knowledge of the particular material that's being treated.

We had some props chryo treated by a local guy and the props lost all the hardening and they bent like they were made of aluminum.

Chryo treatment is frequently part of a hardening process. A typical hardening process may entail annealing, chryo, and precipitation hardening. There are very specific guidelines to these hardening treatments which have strict temperature control and time parameters.

I have learned some of these guys have a bottle of liquid nitrogen in the basement and will tell you it's the answer to all metal problems.

Whoever you work with, make sure they are familiar with PH (precipitate hardening) stainless steels ie; 15-5, 17-4, 13-8, etc. They should be able to give you information regarding the advantages of their treatment.

Kennorth, your boat has either the 440 or 480 Yanmars, right? With those motors and the drives you have prop breakage should not be an issue. You need to check the props from time to time for nicks. If you find some they needs to be addressed, especially on a surface drive.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kennorth
Very interesting. I looked it up on the web and called one these services. They told me they could use this process on a new prop to relieve stress but on the used props they have to be good condition. He suggested that I have the other 2 props magnaflexed to see if there are any cracks and if none he could do the service. From what I read the -300 Deg deep freeze realigns the molecules to relieve stress. The company I called was in IL named "300 Deg. Below" 217-423-3070.It would cost about $75 per prop. Has anyone used this process before? Are there any of these services in S Florida? It's been 2 days now and still no quote for delivery and price for my new prop. Ken

Who are you getting the new propeller though?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 412 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by throttleup
Chryo treatment is something that needs to be done by someone who has the right equipment and knowledge of the particular material that's being treated.

We had some props chryo treated by a local guy and the props lost all the hardening and they bent like they were made of aluminum.

Chryo treatment is frequently part of a hardening process. A typical hardening process may entail annealing, chryo, and precipitation hardening. There are very specific guidelines to these hardening treatments which have strict temperature control and time parameters.

I have learned some of these guys have a bottle of liquid nitrogen in the basement and will tell you it's the answer to all metal problems.

Whoever you work with, make sure they are familiar with PH (precipitate hardening) stainless steels ie; 15-5, 17-4, 13-8, etc. They should be able to give you information regarding the advantages of their treatment.

Good response...............................
Jr.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Who are you getting the new propeller though?
I called Fountain but they don't have any in stock and would have to order it from the Rolla factory. You would think that they would keep one in stock now that they have produced over 50 of these 48' cruisers. I also call Mark Wilson on Tue. and I'm waiting to hear back from him. A prop guy yesterday told me that it may take 18 weeks to get one made. Looks like I may not be boating up to 4 months. Is there another prop that will fit? Are there outlets where you can rent a prop from someone who's boat is laid up for the winter? Ken
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We chucked a Merc Cleaver blade in our Cat @ over 100mph this past summer, thought we blew another #6 drive.
Checked our other prop and she was also ready to start chucking blades, very small cracks at the base of blade to hub,metal fatigue, we never hit a thing or even dinged those props.
Yes they definitely do where out!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen props go on unlimited hydroplanes. Not pretty. Keep in mind they turn (IIRC) almost 3 times the speed of an offshore's props.

I think the money teams only use them for a couple races anyway.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Registered

Kennorth, Many props will fit that boat. Finding one with the diameter will be the challenge.

It's also possible to repair the prop. In a situation where part of the blade is thrown, like yours, we don't normally recommend repairing the props, however, considering the cost of the new prop it may be an option to repair the prop you have. It would be expensive as it would require a full heat treatment after repair but it would still cost a fraction of a new one.

We have made repairs on props that normally shouldn't be repaired but with the proper treatment after repair sometimes the prop will live a happy life. Repairing the prop you have may be an option, it's something we would have to look at prior to making a final decision.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kennorth
I called Fountain but they don't have any in stock and would have to order it from the Rolla factory. You would think that they would keep one in stock now that they have produced over 50 of these 48' cruisers. I also call Mark Wilson on Tue. and I'm waiting to hear back from him. A prop guy yesterday told me that it may take 18 weeks to get one made. Looks like I may not be boating up to 4 months. Is there another prop that will fit? Are there outlets where you can rent a prop from someone who's boat is laid up for the winter? Ken
Give me a call, I can give you a lead for a propeller.

415-485-0788