Notices

Engine exhaust question

Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine exhaust question

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
Let see those lightnings after 12yrs and I run a 509 with a 1050 nickerson mine breathes fine with the s/m and my buddy has 502 built runs all my old stuff with cmi's in his 24super boat but i still kill himon the top end boats are with in a 1,000lbs and i have alittle more hp better drive my b1 shortie his trs. he thought the cmis were going to put him over the top. and I know he will not get 12yrs out of his cmis,we only run sea water or near one riverbut still sea water. if you are in the lakes only the lightings might be the way to go, but if you see any salt water get the S/M..
I wouldn't run lightnings in seawater either. I thought he meant stock cast iron manifolds. No way they breath better than a header.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drive is a whole other issue. The boat is a Chris Craft 222 Stinger with a single engine with an Alpha drive. Originally, it had a 350 Magnum. I've been told that a Bravo is a direct bolt up to replace an Alpha. I can't afford that right now, so I'm sticking with the Alpha.

Playing with cams and settings (like 1.6 rockers vice 1.5) on the computer simulation, it looks like I can expect 410 to 450hp while still having the torque down low to push the boat out of the hole. I'm running a 25 pitch Hydromotive prop with a nosecone so getting on plane with a full tank and people is a slight problem.

I'm hoping the Alpha stays together.

Boat is run 75% in fresh and 25% in salt water and is always flushed after use. I'm leaning either to the S/M or the Lightning headers.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with a Stinger, but I'd seriously consider upgrading the boat before throwing in a bunch of motor work and then a new bravo. Let someone else take the hit.

From what I hear, 400hp is about the max you wanna run in an Alpha...no airtime, hope she runs cool enough, and baby it out of the hole if you want it to hold together.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the exhaust systems you mentioned are decent.

I'd offer this form the Stainless Marine website.......

We believe that the HI-TORQUE Manifold System is the best combination of horsepower increase, weight reduction and long life available in the entire marine industry today. The heaviest HI-TORQUE manifold weighs 23 pounds. Compare that to cast iron! Experience has shown that our 5 year limited warranty is justified. Our exclusive hybrid aluminum construction has been so sucessful that, in more than 10 years, we have yet to hear of an engine ruined by the failure of a HI-TORQUE MANIFOLD. Best of all, HI-TORQUE exhaust systems are priced lower than most other top level exhaust systems.

Just something to consider.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

hey fred, you used that same line on me.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
hey fred, you used that same line on me.
Did it work????
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered

CMI was my choice. Fred helped me out from start to finish with my custom Big Elbow Race Header System.. Thanks again Fred..... They sound awsome
Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Titan
CMI was my choice. Fred helped me out from start to finish with my custom Big Elbow Race Header System.. Thanks again Fred..... They sound awsome
My pleasure!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
I wouldn't run lightnings in seawater either. I thought he meant stock cast iron manifolds. No way they breath better than a header.
yeap on bobs dyno he had both done and said he lost tq with the cmis and did not gain any speed going to the cmi. with his a class motor . and its running nice for me nice 94 and sound pissa dry