Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show! >

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Notices

Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

I have been gone for how long and this is till going on
Old 12-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I disagree 9 lives, There are 525 boats barely breaking 80 mph and there are 525 boats that are dam near hitting the century mark. I think it says a helluva lot more about who has the fastest hull.

One of the greatest things about the board is that I just knew one of my first responses would be a disagreement.
The point I was trying to make was that while I agree that there is a huge difference between the performance of a
400SS Formula with a pair of 525's and a 38' Fountain with a pair of staggered 525's in it.

What this kilo attempt is after is a raising to the title of the worlds fastest v-bottom, which is probably going
to require somewhere around 1500-2500 HP per side rigged in a staggered reconfiguration, or even possibly triples,
in a boat hull designed to look like a v-bottom when viewed from the front or from the rear.

This is all that is really needed to get that title at the top of the full page add, or in the SBI/APBA and UIM
record books once again. Isn't that what he really wants again? More room between himself and the competition.
There's always more room in the trophy case for another "World's Fastest".

Some will argue why to risk it if you're already on top. Human nature, perhaps.

Teams that already own the land speed attempts are always trying to raise their own current number.

Last edited by 9 Lives; 12-14-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by OFFSHOREJOJO
Cat record is 203 he still has a way to go?

I believe the Callan C50 record is 213 MPH, not @ LOTO, but during testing this past summer! That's hauling the trash baby!
Dean
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Well, at least one thing we know for sure after Reggie's public announcement
during the Jacksonville Poker Run of the unsafety of the catamaran design,
that he won't be trying for one of these crazy speed attempts in one of those
dangerous contraptions.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Speed records are the pure art form; just you and your machine against the laws of physics. There are no rules and it is not possible to cheat. As soon as you say everybody has to use the same engine the cheating starts.

Anybody wondering why an old man would want to take the risk needs to watch "The World's Fastest Indian" the story of Bert Munro, an old motorcycle racer who built a streamliner out of a 1920 Indian and set the record over 200 mph.

Best of luck to the entire team behind this attempt.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I believe the Callan C50 record is 213 MPH, not @ LOTO, but during testing this past summer! That's hauling the trash baby!
Dean
not an official record though, they need to do a kilo someday, they probably could put up a big number...
Old 12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by louietherigger
When OL ran there imaginary Speed record you guys were all gushing and gettin oral with each other. Now that it will probably get even further out of reach its all an ego trip? Look at it this way, if the Fountain goes even faster OL can swipe some of the R&D and make there boats a little faster and better handling, its a win win situation, wish him luck. As far as customer service goes I don't think there's a builder out there who hasn't been accused of stroking there customers, your majesty included......
spend the rest of the day looking for a post of mine "gushing" over any of this.

All it's gonna do when physics innevitably catches up to man's challenges (which it has been for thousands of years) is that people are gonna die and yet another black eye will be placed on the interest of recreational performance boating which any of this has very little to do with.
Unless the boat has capsules, a 180 MPH failure is simply not survivable.
Please remember also that 99+% of the world knows little or no difference what this is vs. what we do every weekend, and would like nothing more than to lump it together.

as far as customer service, well...some just have a well known better record of satisfaction than others, deal with it.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Why does the Kilo ONLY have to be for the FASTEST boat?

Why can't they run a few classes like they were going to in August and everyone can get their fastest 525 boats and run as well.

Don't give me that UIM record crap either, no one cares anymore, even the Europeans.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What Fountain is doing by raising the bar and going faster and faster in a V bottom is trickling right down to production boats with them being stable at today's speed with 525's which were yesterdays racing speeds.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

FeverMike,

I'm still a newby (and I still need to pony up for a real membership, I know), but I have to ask: What technology, exactly, is trickling down from kilo runs? Or is it just a matter of engine builders making 1,500-hp (and then some) engines that will live long enough to survive a kilo.

In auto racing, you can point to things like paddle shifters that have made their way into consumer sports cars. But I'm curious as to what comes, in the form of technology, from a kilo run. And I'm not asking to be a wiseguy. I'm genuinely curious. If we're talking hull advances, it would be cool to know what they are.

Some of the knowledge gained might be proprietary to a company like Fountain, I know. But then to say something like, "We learned all this from kilo runs and racing, and then leave the "all this" undefined doesn't make the case. It comes off as marketing-speak.

Anyway, I'm sure you can point out a few things. And I sure could use the education. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fountain New Kilo Record by Miami Show!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.