Notices

Diesels

Old 12-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Diesels

Originally Posted by super termoli
BTW, Seatek have been working on that V12 for at least 5 or 6 years now. Every time I speak to them at autumn boat shows, they say next year but that the prototype is already on the dyno. As I said, it's been on the dyno for 5 or 6 years now.

Fabio Buzzi started Seatek with few other people and designed the first engine, the design which is still essentially the same as the straight-6 block they use today. But lately, it seems that even Fabio has given up on them and has used more Yanmars, Isotta Fraschinis and CATs.

Also, stay away from twin-turbo versions which look tempting and can make 1200+hp. for around 1900lbs. This is a race engine and you all know what that means.
Again thanks for your insite. I apprieciate the knowledge coming from someone who has a great deal of experience in this field. What other diesels are out there besides the smaller version size wise (315-370hp version) that could possibly fit 4 in a 4300. I agree on the Yanmar's being great for resale, power and weight ratio. Thanks Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still waiting to hear about the MTI that had the D-max in it...Last i saw the boat was rigged but not run.. Wonder if gale banks 750 hp 1000lbs d-max will work..
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Jeff, a quad installation in a 4300 is going to be very tough. It would have to be straight-6 engine because they are long and narrow. This is why they are such a great idea for performance boats where you usually have plenty of length but little width. A quad Yanmar setup is very complicated to rig in a 49 Hustler and leaves very little room to play with. Access to engines is good because the configuration is what can be described as double stagger but everything needs to be placed to within a fraction of an inch.

Unfortunately, I don't think one would gain anything by going for the 370hp. version. I believe the width is virtually the same, it's the same block.

I'm not sure, but you could probably fit three Yanmars in a 4300V. Perhaps the bulkhead would have to be moved forward resulting in a smaller cockpit (and a larger invoice) but you'd probably be able to touch 90, all other things being equal. Which is a big assumption because these boats were initially designed for gas engines and outdrives and were never really intended to carry that much weight in the back.

Another thought is Hustler's 444. I hear that the mods have been beneficial and that she runs properly now. I believe the engine compartment is the same as on their 50 meaning that trip Yanmar + ASD8 installation is probably possible. If the 50 with that package runs 85+, then the 444 would probably show some interesting numbers. That is once again assuming that it could run as well as the 50 because this extra length may precisely be what is enabling the 50 to carry all this weight so well.

As far as other options are concerned, I know that Buzzi has used Cummins QSM11s on several boats. He used them while they were 635hp. and got some interesting speeds with his RIB 42', I think it was just under 70 mph. Now that they are 715hp, maybe two of those in a 4300V could be an interesting solution.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

Jass have you talked to Pat about the 43? It is going to be 9'6" wide from what I hear. You probly have and he laughed at you about the Diesels, I can see it now.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Jass have you talked to Pat about the 43? It is going to be 9'6" wide from what I hear. You probly have and he laughed at you about the Diesels, I can see it now.
He laughs at everything, not a serious bone in the guy.
What do I look like, a guinee pig. Jeff
Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
He laughs at everything, not a serious bone in the guy.
What do I look like, a guinee pig. Jeff
Ok I guess I should have know better than even bring it up
Old 01-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Ok I guess I should have know better than even bring it up
You misunderstood my post, I probably should have put one of behind it. I prefer not be the first buyer in anyone's boat line up. The only person I know that did really well is John-Mentlepause. Sunsation did an excellent job from tooling, bottom design and so on, it took alot longer than anticipated, but sure turned out great. I'm sure Pat's new 43 will turn out excellent as well. We are still good friends and talk on a bi-weekly basis. I'm presently working on another project at the moment. Jeff
Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Ted Mcintyre with MTT. With the size hull your looking to run I would atleast think about turbines.
www.marineturbine.com
One turbine would make as much power as 2 diesels at 1/3 of the weight.Just My 2