Notices

one big offshore family

Old 07-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome and keep up the good work.we do need to stop all the mud slinging.lets see the end of this sooooooon !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a moment I was getting worried. The debate and thread became that which Mediaman decried the most, bickering. But I am glad that it got back on track. It is good to see people who have genuine concern for the sport of boating and the races related to it. I admit, I have only been boating personally for approximately four years now but my family has been in the profession, to one degree or another, since before 1965. That was the year my Grandmother bought the marina that I now help manage. I grew up around boats and have been fascinated by the sport my whole life. Given that, I do see some problems that might be able to be resolved on a grass roots level and others on a more professional level. Professional for a lack of a better word. As is the case in many aspects of society, sometimes we are our own worst enemies. My main profession is that of a police officer. I admit that most of the negative connotations and misconceptions about my line of work have been self induced by those who have done this job in the past and some that still do it now. There are " Bad Apples " in every part of society. I see many boaters who are very helpful and dedicated to everybody having a good time. I also see boaters who are very ignorant to other boaters and to the sport itself. When I read about threads on this site that talk about hit and run accidents involving offshore boats it makes me cringe. Not because of the fact that there was an accident, but because I know what inevitable backlash will come forth. I see the worst of human behavior from the scum of society, we do not need to get that image when it comes to power boating. I think that we can police ourselves in that respect. I don't mean to eliminate bickering or berating other boat manufacturers. That is taken in good clean fun. But we do need to check our own ranks so that nobody else will whine about how they got waked or almost run over by some arrogant power-boater. I read threads constantly about how this law and that law is going into effect to curtail the use of performance boats on the waterways. Believe me, I we cant regulate ourselves, they will do it for us. It is the same as in law enforcement. Because of the abuse of authority by some, we all have to play by more strict rules. Now, in regards to promoting racing and getting more of a fan base, I don't see anything wrong with patterning ourselves after NASCAR or other motor-sports. The adage of " Win on Sunday, sell on Monday " is true. I have been disappointed in watching APBA races and not knowing which manufacturers had the most wins and who the leading boat was built by. The team logos are impossible to miss but the boat manufacturer is often left out. I would love to be able to turn on a race and see if a Wellcraft, Cigarette, Nordic, Sonic, etc,, etc, was winning or had the most wins. I know that influences which line of boat people in general will buy. Remember, for every informed boater out there, there are probably ten times as many who are not. They need to be enlightened on a more accessible level. I am also disappointed that there is not more coverage of races or poker runs. I think that if people could turn on TV and watch Thunder on the Bay or Smoke on the Water, they would get into the sport just a little more. Especially because they would be able to see real people owned boats. I can watch ESPN and see Mother's Car Shows in which they highlight personal cars. I also see this on programs like Horsepower TV or the likes. Somebody, sorry about forgetting the name, had already made mention about how HotBoat has a reader's rides section but that it was not enough. I agree. I have a 1988 Baja 240 Sport with a 454 Mag and custom Stereo/lights. I think that it would be nice to have a chance to get the boat shown in either a major magazine or perhaps a television show. There are a lot of boats on the waterways that are nicer than when they were new because people change them. It is like how there is no such thing as a stock Harley. Why? Because the owners personalize them. There is another good example to follow. Not just because I owned one but because Harleys had a very negative image but they are now cherished or drooled over by society. The manufacturers and riders worked hard but pulled off a reversal in the image projected and have made the bikes very popular. I just cant imaging that we can not make positive changes in our sport so that more people can and would enjoy it. Just my brief O2. LOL.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Offshore, I couldnt agree with you more. Now all they have to do is put the races back on Speedvision like they used to.