Notices

Lake Travis Boat Accident

Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Copy/paste from another website:
"Yeah, I saw those pics. Boats should definitely not fall apart like this. But, it's very possible he had some structural damage to begin with. If you look at the port side, just forward of the split, you'll see a "blank" spot in the graphics. This is where a 19'-21' bowrider ran into him about a month ago. He had just got it back from the fiberglass shop on Memorial day weekend, where they cut out the fiberglass around the hole, and inserted a new piece and patched and gel-coated it. It looked good, but there's no telling what kind of "unseen" damage the boat sustained from that accident. "

My heart so goes out to the family. I just got through playing with my little 7 mos. old daughter for about an hour looking into those innocent eyes and getting her to laugh a lot. Everyone, Take a moment to be with your little ones and realize we only have the present, that there's no guarantee for tomorrow. And refrain from the boat-brand witchhunt, as all boat brands can and have ripped apart at the seams when massive force is applied in just the right way. The answer is to stay vigilant, especially in rough water, and slow down or turn if there is any doubt about safety. I am pleased that there is so much attention paid to this incident. Maybe the tragedy of little Carolyn's death will save the lives of others who will be more careful in the future. And guys, WEAR YOUR LANYARDS!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m1super90
At an angle those wakes can make the boat shudder fiercely. I've felt this, even in my 38 Special, and it's why I avoid such angles.
1st I want to say I am also feeling very deeply about the tragic loss. I can't imagine what he is going through at this point.

I used to drive a big rig over the road. A cabover running 90 will blow most cars slap off the road(literally)! Why do you think they have a reckless driving charge for trucks running excessive speeds?

I believe something needs to be done about these large crusiers tearing up the lakes making it impossible for pleasure boats to have an enjoyable day on the lake!

What's funny is the cigs and skaters are considered the menace! Simply because they can go so fast. The real danger is from the 30 MPH large cruisers that can't plane and throw 6-8 foot rollers!

Is it time to wake up those that should act?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Registered

WOW sorry to hear of the loss of your child. Hope things get better. Sad so SAD
Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Registered

Yes, the blank spot in the stripe is where the repair was made last week.

I also know that some of Rick's best friends own large cruisers and that he doesn't think of them as a menace. We've even joked about how we can tell who's cruiser made which wake as we go over them.

Rick left the hospital yesterday. Staying at his mother's house until he can really get around on his own with the leg being broken.

Originally Posted by marylandmark
m1super90 can you verify beak42's story in post 83?

I want to remember his loss and felt disrespectful posting speculation on what happened to the boat on this same thread, however let's not make her loss in vain and get to the bottom of why this happened to prevent it from happening again!

Crusier's banned and all the crap needs to hit the road- wakes are wakes, you are responciable for yours from every thing I have ever heard or read and that is that.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

hang in there...we're thinking of you.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by twinscrew312
I bought a boat from Rick last year, great guy, I have a 3 foot tall boating buddy as well, Im just speechless.
You bought that Baja? Quite a legal story behind it.

Last edited by m1super90; 06-13-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Would you share what he remembers? I also have the video if he would like a copy.
How about a copy of that video for Rick?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered

Just FYI, we owe Randy Myers a big thanks for his having the courage to drive his red 35' Fountain into the circle Rick's boat was making to rescue Rick and Caroline from the water. You can see his red hull tied to a police boat in the newsreels.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by m1super90
Just FYI, we owe Randy Myers a big thanks for his having the courage to drive his red 35' Fountain into the circle Rick's boat was making to rescue Rick and Caroline from the water. You can see his red hull tied to a police boat in the newsreels.
I was told by a Travis County Sheriff officer that was on the scene about the hero's on Randy's boat. First to the girls that saw (part) of the accident and had Randy turn around, then to Randy pulling into the path of the circling boat, then the guys that jumped into the water to rescue Rick and Caroline in the water, all the while Rick's boat is still running around them. Randy's Boat was also used to transport Rick to shore so the Fire boat could be released to go to Devil's Cove to the accident that was going on there.

As I was sitting on shore watching the events unfold I also notice that the medical personal were on Randy's Boat with their shoes on.

I forgot the other hero is the young girl that just became I believe a Texas Park and Wildlife officer to go and jump on Ricks boat while it was moving to shut it down.

The Sheriff Officer was thankful for Randy and crew and after I was told of the story so am.

Last edited by Turbojack; 06-13-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Forgot about girl jumping on boat to shut it down.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Caroline's funeral details

Cook Walden Funeral Home
9700 Anderson Mill Road
Austin, TX 78750
512-355-1155

Viewing: Friday, June 15th, 4-7PM

Services: Saturday, June 16th, 1:00PM

Direct questions to Gabe at [email protected]

Quick Reply: Lake Travis Boat Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.