Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
87-31' Formula Water Leak Under Step-help? >

87-31' Formula Water Leak Under Step-help?

Notices

87-31' Formula Water Leak Under Step-help?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srl520
I had this same problem that started last year. I was told that it could be caused by any of the above reasons and there was more, but we have not had rain her for 100's of days(lasvegas). This is what I found.
I noticed water leaking in from a small pin hole in the front floor of the cabin. After a summer of this and shampooing and cleaning carpet, if finally is ruined. I decided I was going to have to tear into the floor and find out where it is coming from.
Under the floor is filled with foam. I cut much of the foam out and vacumed out the water. had to get everything dried out. I could not find anywhere that water could be comming in from. I should of taken the boat to the lake at this point.
I decided to fix the problem by drilling small holes at the bottom of all the stringers so that the water could drain back into the sump under the step.
I put new plywood floor in and glassed over the floor.
Took her to the lake and she still leaks water in from somewhere. Water slowly accumulates under the step.
The next step I took was to re-gel co the front of the keal, since the gel had worn thin from beaching on the sand. I was told that water can seep through the bare fiberglass.
I still have water coming in.
I think I am going to have to tear the floor up again to find out where this is coming from.
As far as your problem, not good. Once the water gets under the floor and fills in all the voids and finds a pin hole to get out into the cabin, you are screwed. There is no way for the water can get back out from under the floor.
I have pic of the whole project that I will post when I get back home.
I then had to replace the carpet. This is a whole nother post and major project that I have pic of.
I will find where the water is coming from eventully.
The only thing left I can think of is there is water under the floor where the gas tank is and it is leaking through small hole in the front bulk head. Formula Tech says there is no way water can get from the bilge through 2 bulk heads to reach under the cabin floor.
Maybe this is why my boat/trailor scaled out at 14,700 lbs and I have lost 5mph over the last year.
You find the leak?