Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin... >

Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin...

Notices

Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin...

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

For all the people who think a bartender/server should be grateful for a tip and live on their salary. At the current time, servers and bartenders in FLA are paid $3.13 an hour. Taxes are paid from that so a 40 hour week usually means a $0 check.

I don't work at the bar for the money so much as the "social life" it comes with. But I don't put up with being belittled either. I work in Boca Raton, possibly the most uppity place in America, and I make more than most of my customers. Yet, they still treat most of the staff like shiit.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

By the way, I pasted this from a message another hospitalty pro sent me. NO FUGGIN WAY would I type all that just to get kicked in the nuts around here.

On the upside it's got 1200+ views and 4 pages of replies....umm...sounds like content to me.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CB, I understand what your saying, I really do but you're missing the point------If you are basically working for tips, then you need to provide the proper level of service for the best tips. Supply and demand, capitalism, etc. We all know that jerks are jerks and having money just makes a jerk a rich jerk. Some of those jerks will not tip/leave a crappy tip, treat you like an idiot, whatever. That being said, in any business, whether you sell a product or sell your time, the level of service usually equals the level of reward. If I was working for tips, you could be darn sure that my customers would remember me and ask for me at their table next time they were there. It doesn't matter if you're having a bad day, your job sucks, the last guy screwed you, it just doesn't matter. That's the problem with a lot of people today. There is no respect for anyone or anything. That comes from or has generated the sense of entitlement that is so prevalent today. I treat the people who serve me the same way that I would have like to be treated when I was on the other side of the counter. Some get it, some don't. The ones who do get it don't complain about the crappy base salary because they're making a good living (off the tips). If they're not, they can go anywhere and get a job waiting tables or tending bar because their level of service draws customers to them. The ones who b**** and complain all the time run customers off to the next bar or restaurant down the road where they get good service. It's the same thing as if you were having engines built or drives or anything else. You'll gladly pay more for the guy who takes care of you, makes sure your needs are met, and if he's smart enough to call you and make sure you're satisfied with his work and having no problems, or helps your sort out the bugs on your new install, you think that guy is made of gold and you make sure you go back to him and recommend him because of his service. Why is this so difficult to understand?

PS-No one's try to kick you in the nuts. If that came from a hospitality pro, they're in the wrong business. Are you sure that wasn't someone's attempt at sarcasm?

Last edited by CCstinger260; 08-15-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Originally Posted by CCstinger260

Are you sure that wasn't someone's attempt at sarcasm?

Oh, I am sure it was. It was passed around a myspace message board. Home of more GenY spoiled brats than you can count.

I completely understand everyones right to an opinion or style of tipping/not.

I also know that the S. Fla OSO crew shows the love first round at the first bar and we never get turned away/down or made to wait. Especially in a niteclub atmosphere where no one can hear your personality, money talks.

I really enjoyed the post about not deserving a tip for popping a beer bottle. This is the same guy that will walk away and give a girl on stage a twenty for looking at him.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, this thread is entertaining and I hope enlightening for some.

I was very glad to see people post the REAL meaning of tips.
TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service.

I have seen the best and worst of service. The "entitlement" service is the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen. I can't imagine someone serving me and feeling like they did ME a favor, however, this DOES happen.

Teaching bartenders HOW to increase their tips, and if this "teaching" is done correctly, they will double or triple their TOTAL bar tips... sometimes this is what customers teach. There are many many bartenders/servers that make a VERY good living. This is accomplished by good SERVING.

Keep in mind, however proud you are in the SERVICE industry, take note and do NOT distinguish who you are serving as if one is more worthy than another, DO YOUR JOB and you will find more money in the jar at the end of the night/day.

One of the simplest things that can be done in a busy bar is to acknowledge someone. If you tell me you will be with me as soon as possible, it's all I ask. I will reward you more and more "as soon as possible"

Last edited by RichardCranium572; 08-15-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Greg, I have sat back at watched you get trashed for your post and have read some of the most obnoxious crap I have ever seen on this board. You are exactly right in you assessment of the guy that will hand the chick a 20 for looking at him.

Most people need to realize that there are different situations in the bar world. Sometimes you luck up and things aren't busy and servers and 'tenders have more time to spend with you and your special needs. But a good portion of the time we all like to hang out in crowds and with that comes the fact that there are all of us partiers and just one bartender behind that particular bar. And in that instance, you as a patron need to realize that that one person behind the bar is expected to serve everyone as quickly and efficiently as possible. It isn't too much to ask for you to have your order and your payment ready. Continuing to add to your order not only slows them up, it keeps your fellow patrons from receiving prompt service too.

Maybe it is just my upbringing, but they are providing a service and even if it is crappy service I am verbally going to thank my servers and bartenders. Tipping is where they will see the difference. And yes, if you open a $4 beer for me and I hand you a five, that buck is going in the tip jar. IF I wait on you to bring it back. Most of the time, I'm taking my beer and moving on. Typically I tip 25% if my service is good, if it is outstanding, then so is the tip. And if it isn't great, then neither is the tip and the manager may get a mention if it is warranted. We all have off days, though.

This is not to say that there aren't servers and bartenders who definitely should NOT be in any sort of public service position. But at least they are workiing and not living solely off my taxes. Just remember, it is a two way street. I was always told that I had the right to refuse to serve in certain situations. Luckily for me, I never had to deal with that. And I made excellent tips on nights no one else wanted to work because it was college frats and sororities nights.

In a crowded, busy bar, keep in mind you aren't the only person there. And no matter how well you think you tip, the person at the other end of the bar just might be tipping better than you and getting the same service you are.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

We (wife and friends) enjoy the local taverns much better than the crowded bars/clubs.... I get 10X better service, and even comp. drinks and I can actually talk to the person sitting next to me.

I guess I'm done with the bar scene... I remember being single and dropping $2-300 every Friday/Sat. night. Now I just see it as a waste of money and leaves more money to put in the gas tank. I guess things have changed for me

Everything posted in this thread so far (servers and customers) is exactly the reason why I don't enjoy going there anymore.

Damn...I sould like an old man now....
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
We (wife and friends) enjoy the local taverns much better than the crowded bars/clubs.... I get 10X better service, and even comp. drinks and I can actually talk to the person sitting next to me.

I guess I'm done with the bar scene... I remember being single and dropping $2-300 every Friday/Sat. night. Now I just see it as a waste of money and leaves more money to put in the gas tank. I guess things have changed for me

Everything posted in this thread so far (servers and customers) is exactly the reason why I don't enjoy going there anymore.

Damn...I sould like an old man now....

Just wait till October then you really will sound old.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Bottom line is that dealing with the general public as a retailer sucks and this thread needs to go to the bilge.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered

Bartenders are like women, theres a chitload of bad ones, a handfull of mediocre ones, and very few great ones.[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO...

Quick Reply: Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.