Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this a tank vent problem? >

Is this a tank vent problem?

Notices

Is this a tank vent problem?

Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plug wires are new, along with cap, rotor, & plugs. I plan on removing the filter again this evening & pour it out in a jar, & I will also be checking the pick up tube with low air pressure, & soapy water. I hope to get a scan tool on it tomorrow, but I'm really not thinking it will turn up anything. I had someone suggest a possible injector problem, that is about the only thing in the fuel system I've not checked into.
Something I just thought of....I read on a thread a while back, about the routing of plug wires, & that they should not be in contact with each other. Well, mine are routed neatly thru separaters, but however, where they turn up to go to the cap, I have each side bundled together. Could that be a problem? Just thinking out loud here....
I do appreciate all the input here, hopefully I get this figured out soon. I really hope to put it up for sale so I can buy something a bit bigger.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TSPM
Has anyone seen this problem on a 496 HO ?

We are chasing down a similar behavior......but.....we have isolated it to fuel pressure which drops way off when the boat hits 3600-3700 rpms. The boat has has 2 saddle tanks and an IMCO fuel tank selector switch so we have a bunch of trouble shooting ahead on this one. We have also seen fuel lines collapsing internally from ETHANOL making them soft and deteriorating. Not to mention all the issues mentioned above to check as well.
That was the latest thing I replaced, pressure was way down, & the needle on the gauge was very eratic. I replaced the pump & all seemed to be good....Until....Problem started again.....