Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Original milestones in hi-perf boat design. >

Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

Notices

Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Great thread Brownie. A lot of unanswered questions finally answered,especially the origins of the 7 by 24 hulls.

Anybody have a pcture of a 23 Magnum?
Yep, that's one I've wanted answered for years.

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
The 23' Magnum was never built as a production boat. They made one for Bob Magoon. It was speifically designed to to be a twin outboard offshore racer. It was probably the first glass boat that was built without a "plug" or master from which the mold is made. Harry drew the boat to Don's spec, and built the mold from Formica. Big breakthrough in those days........

Charlie, got a pic?
Wow - very cool to know about that.
And yeah, Charlie, got a pic???
Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Yep, that's one I've wanted answered for years.

Wow - very cool to know about that.
And yeah, Charlie, got a pic???

Me too.....thanks Brownie.....
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread Brownie. A lot of unanswered questions finally answered,especially the origins of the 7 by 24 hulls.

Hickman SeaSleds rock Lee .I have a great Article that was published in Woodenboat about the history of Hickmans Sea
Sleds at home.If you would like me to send it to you when i get home from vacation let me know.
Thanks Tommy, I'd like to see the article.
If anybody was curious, Albert was the first person to cut a mono hull in half lengthwise and switch sides left to right then put it together with a tunnel creating the first catamaran and he also used surface piercing props on it. If I remember correctly he also was the innovator of the first aircraft carrier.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in that day, there were some great innovators. Hickman, Appell, Crouch, Wood, Campbell, etc. Development were coming fast. The Hickman sea-sled was fast, had surface props, and would give you terminal hemorrhiods at the same time!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I think,........ if you actually know us ......... Brownie and I agree probably 99% of the time.

Except on that little matter of him hogging all the women...
so it all boils down to the same thing as with Adam...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
so it all boils down to the same thing as with Adam...

Not quite..... when Adam came along he was very possessive about Eve. Things were pretty dicey to begin with, and then Brownie had to go and slip her the snake.........

Next thing you know we had Cain and Abel, floods, pestilence, Democrats.....It just keeps getting worse and worse. I miss the good old days back in Eden. Life was simple, the food was good, the climate perfect, and all we did was sit around and lie about our past boat racing exploits.

T2x
Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But Brownie was still in the middle of it stirring things up all the time wasn´t he..?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.-ultimatum1.jpg   Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.-ultimatum2.jpg   Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.-ultimatum-3.jpg  

Old 10-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 920 Likes on 375 Posts

Nice pics Starflite.Is that boat over in Europe somewhere and do you have any info on it?

Lee i will be home in a couple of weeks and than i will send it to you. Don,t be shy about reminding me i have a horrible short term memory.

Brownie was the 19 Cigarette a drawn design or did it come from a hull swiped from Donzi and modified?

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-14-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics Starflite.Is that boat over in Europe somewhere and do you have any info on it?
The pics were taken at Cowes in 1994. The boat at that time was owned by a friend of mine who had converted it sterndrive power.

Was orginally owned by Bill Shand-Kydd who raced with Lord Lucan. When it did the Cowes Torquay race in the mid sixties it was powered by a single inboard. It then became a twin engine outboard and ended up powered by a single sterndrive.

The boat in my experience was notoriously unforgiving with very little recovery forward. We stuffed it at about 30 mph off of Cowes one day and at its last race in 95 or so it stuffed big time. The strange thing was that it was racing almost abreast of another of the only 3 Magnums that I know of in England and that one (an early 70s 27 Sport) stuffed at the same time. Having said that, it was an exceptionally rough race.

The boat was sold to a German in 95 who had intended to re-furbish it yet again but disappeared so the boat remained at the boat yard in Littlehampton where work had begun. Sadly, the work was never finished.

Here's how it looked a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.-ultimatum.1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.