Notices

Speed Vs. Safety

Old 01-13-2002, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one EVER runs in my boat at WFO without LIFEJACKETS minimum and at ANY event where there is more then just me and my guests HELMETS are MANDATORY! Sure I have gotten some laughs, but ya know what? I'd rather be laughed at than burried. Also, Kill switches for driver and throttleman, gloves are also mandatory. I also have three fire extinguishers, inflatable safety raft, full first aid kit, big orange flag, flares, extra towels, etc. etc.etc. I am a firefighter and racer and I have seen to many bad things happen.

Also, as mentioned above, you MUST, ABSOLUTELY MUST know the limits of your boat. No matter how many times you have been out there it is NEVER EVER THE SAME! The only thing that is consistant about water is that it is CONSISTANTLY INCONSISTANT! I VERY RARELY run my boat WFO and next to NEVER at full trim. If I do it is for a brief moment and then i back it downa bit and rim it in. So what if I am running 85 to 90 instead of 100? DOes that make me any less of a person? I sure don't think so, and I would much rather live to run another day. Please use caution my friends.

THE SINGLE BIGGEST SAFETY ITEM...NO ALCOHOL FOR ANYONE until the cover is on the boat! PERIOD! NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Not even for passengers! Good thread!

Shane

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Shane ]

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Shane ]
Old 01-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Actually my own post has got me thinking ....... Lets say Im driving and get thrown out,the lanyars kill the engines and do their job, but Im the only one, best to have a spare set of lanyards in the boat and make sure somebody knows where they are so someone else could refire the boat and come and get me.....
Old 01-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point about the lanyard override switch,a 2-minute educational course on safety for everyone on board would cure these concerns.
Clack P4-11
Old 01-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare lanyards, or an overide are simple !

As for as a kill switch for a pass. that's also simple I would be more people are hurt in offshore style boats when they some how loose footing while in the rough stuff, and the driver never lifts. I a passenger was to fall to the floor or backwards over a bolster, you'll be a whole lot happier to get your boat restarted, then to figure how to get that person to the hospital
Old 01-13-2002, 07:07 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by puder:
[QB]Maybe some kind of work around could be included like switch that would by by-pass the rip cords if pulled, so that way if teh engines were cutout by the passenger cords the driver coudl just flip teh switch an refire quickly without worrying about finding the clip jammies. ]

I have just the one that Ibelieve should be the ONLY type of kill switch installed.
Some may disagree because it can allow you to run with out it
Here is a copy of the text from CP Performance web page were I ordered mine from. I have the KS-22 item for twin engine use.

Part No. : 855-KS-2 Category Brand Name
Electrical - Kill Switches T & H Marine
Saf-T-Stop Cut Off Switch - Single I/O with Coiled Lanyard
For all inboard/outboard, inboard, dual inboard/outboard and dual inboard installations. Meets requirments of existing law covering mandatory use of emergency stop switches. Extra strong cloth covered self-retracting lanyard. Black matte finish for attractive appearance. Mounts in a 1-1/2'' diameter hole. Overall dimensions of switch housing are 2-3/4'' x 2'' and requires 1-1/2'' behind panel. Dual engine switches provide two completely isolated circuits to prevent feedback from on engine to the other.

Price for the KS-2 is 18.95
KS-22 for twin motors is 21.95
It was very easy to install Just find a location close to your ignition switch or you will need to run more wire.
This switch allows the crd to clip UNDER the switch. If the cord would get pulled and you do not have it, such as a passenger getting tossed or yourself and your passenger needs to drive, you can just push the toggle up without the lanyard and run.
I however could not see having one for hte passengers I can just see someone not liking the way you are handling or get scared and yank the cord you have no control when needed.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CP Performance Online Catalog
Old 01-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree, if someone is getting tossed around the cockpit of the boat, cutting the engines (slamming on the brakes (at least in my boat)) I feel would add another unwanted physical force to the equation. Let alone the fact that cutting the engines at an inoppertune time could be disasterous to the boat itself(i.e. stuff)
Old 01-13-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have those type of kill switches in our raceboat, they work great and you don't need spare lanyards.

Rob
Old 01-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Vonbongo

Have that same kind on my boat too.

Old 01-13-2002, 09:36 PM
RON

As always, you have no control of the unexpected, it sounds as if the HTM may have suffered a mechanical failure.

Sometimes it takes a tragic event to change the way people think, and i feel it has convinced me that everyone on my Cat will be wearing a PFD at all times ,from here on in!
I sometimes cruise without a PFD on , but i have never Raced anyone without wearing my PFD,and engine kill lanyard, cause you simpily don't know what can happen!

I just can't understand how the guys aboard the HTM, would take a 150 MPH Cat out on the lake without wearing PFD's, it may have been ,cause they where just going to do a Quick test on something that didn't require going real fast, but it does leave me wondering....

Quick Reply: Speed Vs. Safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.