Notices

Who owns the photos?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Support

It's great to see all the support in favor of photographers rights and the rights to do with thier photographs (or artwork) as they see fit. The unfortunate aspect of this argument is that this forum will not support a lawsuit, only money will.

I was just speaking with someone who started out as a motorsports photographer ( automotive ) that went on to write instead of photograph because that was where the money was. Let's face it... just like the guys in the race boats, the photographers out there are not in it for the money. Except for a select few, no one is making any money racing boats or photographing them. Prize money and sponshorship help to differ costs just like selling a few photographs can help differ the cost of travel, equipment, lodging etc... It's the passion of what we do that brings us together. The comraderie that I have seen at the races I've attended has been something I've really enjoyed. Being able to preserve a few moments of those times and turn them into something to be appreciated and longlasting I believe only promotes the longterm success of this sport.

My point is that right or wrong you still have to incur the costs of defending yourself in a lawsuit, and thats an unfortunate reality in our society. There are those that to bring suit is second nature... and those to be put in a position of defense totally alien. It's a bad mix, it's wrong...

Will the ?????

imax
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by imax
no one is making any money racing boats or photographing them.
imax
You got that right !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 11-03-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by imax
It's great to see all the support in favor of photographers rights and the rights to do with thier photographs (or artwork) as they see fit. The unfortunate aspect of this argument is that this forum will not support a lawsuit, only money will.

I was just speaking with someone who started out as a motorsports photographer ( automotive ) that went on to write instead of photograph because that was where the money was. Let's face it... just like the guys in the race boats, the photographers out there are not in it for the money. Except for a select few, no one is making any money racing boats or photographing them. Prize money and sponshorship help to differ costs just like selling a few photographs can help differ the cost of travel, equipment, lodging etc... It's the passion of what we do that brings us together. The comraderie that I have seen at the races I've attended has been something I've really enjoyed. Being able to preserve a few moments of those times and turn them into something to be appreciated and longlasting I believe only promotes the longterm success of this sport.

My point is that right or wrong you still have to incur the costs of defending yourself in a lawsuit, and thats an unfortunate reality in our society. There are those that to bring suit is second nature... and those to be put in a position of defense totally alien. It's a bad mix, it's wrong...

Will the ?????

imax
Right or wrong, agree or disagree I believe you are 100% correct.

Som interesting reading: http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/...463&redirCnt=1

Last edited by Panther; 11-03-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read this thread heard about it in KW Total BS.I was on page 4 of the NY Post once my picture was taken without my permission and the papers were sold.Same thing SBI is reading to much into the law
Old 11-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Just read this thread heard about it in KW Total BS.I was on page 4 of the NY Post once my picture was taken without my permission and the papers were sold.Same thing SBI is reading to much into the law
Mug shots don't count.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 58 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucididee
Ok then, in a completely hypothetical situation:

If someone takes pic of you in your boat on a run. That photog owns the rights to the pics and can sell it to whomever they want. Right? And if the pic gets sold to multiple major publications and gets a nice paycheck for that photo, it is fine. That even though an organization paid for the event & that the owner who also paid to enter the event, has abosolutely NO RIGHTS and deserves no compensation nor notority. It's the photographer that owns ALL the RIGHTS and ALL the PROCEEDS. Do you agree?
In this instance I'd say yes, they took the picture and it's theirs to do whatever they want with it. Sell it to whom ever is willing to pony up the cash and you would not have any inherent rights to the photograph. Any notoriety would come from the print being published, I don't believe however that anyone who purchases such a print would be free to sell it without obtaining a release from the person who took them.

Last edited by fountain4play; 11-12-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Mug shots don't count.

I was the one putting the cuffs on.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
I was the one putting the cuffs on.
Good!
Just making a joke - I'm glad you're on the right side of it.
What'd the guy do, and was he also in the pic?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered

He was not a bad guy just a Rabbi that was protesting in front of the Russian embassy can't remember for what it was 1984 I think. Actually we locked up about a hundred Rabbis that day.But they wanted to be locked up.And he was in the picture also
Old 11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if nothing else counts at least Sharkey was a gentleman about it. Considering he was acting in a professional capacity he afforded them courtesies that in the end were not deserved.
When they figure out that publicity is a good thing...maybe SBI will come around....as for their track record.....not likely they will make any changes soon.

Quick Reply: Who owns the photos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.