Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a used boat.  What do you expect?? >

Buying a used boat. What do you expect??

Notices

Buying a used boat. What do you expect??

Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay...now for a real-live novice buyer to chime in...

I just purchased my first boat (older Sunsation Dominator- will be bringing it home next weekend ). The boat is located several hours from home. Prior to even looking, I advised the seller that my price ceiling was well below his asking price. I politely explained that I wasn't trying to low-ball him. It was just budget is budget and I didn't want to waste anyone's time. As stated earlier, I figured he'd just say no and I'd move on. Turns out he wanted to unload and we agreed on a tentative price.

I took an experienced friend (and no...I'm not an idiot. This is the same guy whose going to be teaching me what I need to know about operating this machine! ) and drove down to look at it. Not even including it's age, this boat was immaculate; minus the requisite couple of quirks. Very well cared for and the agreed upon price was WELL below market. Obviously, a survey was in order...and that's when the seller started looking a little nervous.

Survery uncovered a small hull crack with some likely internal delam. I called various glass shops and got a WIDE selection of estimates and ways to go about the repair. After these conversations and a few more with my surveyor, I was able to get a better approximate understanding of what the level of severity was with this issue.

I contacted the seller and he stated the price we agreed on was his bottom line...period. With all information in hand, I made my decision to purchase and repair based on value of the boat vs cost of repair vs selling price.

So home and direct to the glass shop it goes. The way I looked at it, and as someone stated earlier, these are used performance machines...not Chevy Malibu's. When someone is that willing to move, you should always expect something to pop up. Under the tamest conditions, these machines face a tough existence....things break. Everything else on the boat "seems" in good working order. However, I've learned fast with these machines that it's often a "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" mindset that's required if you're going to enjoy your purchase.

Cheers! Hope to meet many new friends this coming summer!

Last edited by Ryan8886; 11-04-2007 at 10:58 AM.