Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Chaparral boats, any good? >

Chaparral boats, any good?

Notices

Chaparral boats, any good?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

Chappys are not really "offshore" boats. As was stated above, Cobalts are great solid boats, but heavy and slower. I worked for 3 years at a Marine Dealership that sold Cobalts, and they are beauties inside and out.

Chappys are very good boats, build quality is above average, stainless rails and hardward, good gelcoat work, but do lack some of that "weighty" feel. But to me, they are the ultimate LAKE Boat. Good fast bottoms, look sharp, good use of space, well-balanced (no tabs! LOL) I have had a 200SSi for about 5 years as our run-about and have really loved it. Had a number of other run-abouts before: Sea Ray, Executive, Renell, etc. but I really like this one overall better than the rest. Buddy has a 256 SSi and that thing is awesome.

Would I buy one for offshore and heavy bay use?......nah. I think there's other boats better suited for that. But if you're looking for a good, nice lake boat, they're hard to beat! I imagine the SSX is as good as the rest of their line, (I didn't go to the Dallas Boat Show this year) I can't imagine you'd be disappointed in it.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CDShack
Chappys are not really "offshore" boats. As was stated above, Cobalts are great solid boats, but heavy and slower.

Would I buy one for offshore and heavy bay use?......nah. I think there's other boats better suited for that. But if you're looking for a good, nice lake boat, they're hard to beat!
Last time I was at the L.A. Boat Show, I wasn't that impressed with the Cobalt quality. Maybe it's slipped in the past few years. I did see a Chaparral recently, and it looked pretty well put together. It wasn't super luxurious, but everything seemed to fit well, and materials seemed good.

I can't think of any other new boats in that size (18'-24') that are offshore boats either, unless you count the fishing style center and dual consoles such as those made by Robalo. None that I can think of have the freeboard and deadrise. They all seem to be bowriders now, too. Am I missing any?

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 04-21-2014 at 08:11 PM.