Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the best thing to do with tired 575's? >

What is the best thing to do with tired 575's?

Notices

What is the best thing to do with tired 575's?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had many forced induction toys and if your not running intercoolers you are loosing free HP. Run intercoolers and lower the boost you will make the same power with even more reliabilty.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Moses
I have had many forced induction toys and if your not running intercoolers you are loosing free HP. Run intercoolers and lower the boost you will make the same power with even more reliabilty.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I have also heard that when running an intercooler it requires more/extra boost in order to push the air/fuel charge through the intercooler. Perhaps someone can chime in and set us straight.

Originally Posted by baja27
Has anyone else run the different firing order on there motors? It does make sense.
I know Dave Wesseldyk has his own reasons for using an alternate firing order in many of the cams he uses for several of the marine engines he builds. And for a guy who does not doing any marketing or advertising he is very successful.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I have also heard that when running an intercooler it requires more/extra boost in order to push the air/fuel charge through the intercooler. Perhaps someone can chime in and set us straight..
From what I know the intercooler doesn't "make" horsepower, it simply allows you to safely apply more boost without causing detonation.

I've also heard, read, seen people who have to spin the blower quicker to make the same amout of boost/power after the intercooler is installed.

I'm no expert so...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running 575's with whipple intercoolers in a cig with xr its sportmaster drives and have 225hrs. Just had leak down done last week and motor is extremely tight. Love the motors and the midrange torque. I'd be careful on building bigger motors without upgrading your drive. Many problems come with the drive because of the extra torque you get from the blowers. You can put all the horsepower you need but unless you have a big enough drive you could have problems. The most honest guy to contact would be Brian @ BandD marine in CA 626-443-3721. The guy knows his business extremely well and will spend the time on the phone with you. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Quiet Storm did a 4-7 swap on the firing order, thats what most do and it makes the tourqe curve more progressive.

as far as those tired azz 575's I would junk em....................and if he needs a gut to pick them out of his yard for him P.M. me. Just so happens i need some junk motors.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An intercooler is only useful when the blower is increasing the amount of heat in the charge going into the cylinder. This is usually only seen when boost levels are pushed. IIRC the system that is on the 575 doesn't need an intercooler below about 5lb's of boost. If you are not putting a lot of heat into the charge an intercooler will do NOTHING for you.