Notices

Run Dry Impellers

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works great and i do have the same water pressure . Also mine was snug in the housing just like the stock one .
Contact Nascat he has them
Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
do they really work, and would they work on my ........Merc 700's..Thanks Jeff
I think the 500, 525, 600 and 700 impeller housings are the same.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just pulled my stock impellor to replace it (replacing housing also).
Everything looks in good shape, but I figured might as well - cheap insurance.
What are the thoughts of hanging on to the old parts for an emergency on-water repair if need be?? Looks like you can reverse the wear plate if that would be of any benefit. If you needed to do this, would it be best to run it the same direction it previously ran, or reverse it?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Globe impellers work great. I'm not a fan of the run dry mentality becuase running dry will kill your motor, never mind the pump. The Globe impellers do seem to hold up better to debris, they don't tear and shred like the stock Merc units. Can't say I've ever seen a water pressure or volume problem with them but that's not to say others haven't.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

In my 10 years of boating (only 3 with a go-fast) I've only blown out an impeller once and that was on a test drive and the boat had been sitting for 3 years.

I apoligize for my ignorance but does usage or non-usage effect the life?

About how many hours would you reasonably expect to get out of one?

Does saltwater dry the impeller up faster than freshwater?

Does big HP (say 500+) effect the life of an impeller?

Does BIG WATER (i.e. flight time) burn up an impeller faster than cruising around on the lake?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 01-08-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
In my 10 years of boating (only 3 with a go-fast) I've only blown out an impeller once and that was on a test drive and the boat had been sitting for 3 years.

Does usage or non-usage effect the life?

Does BIG WATER (i.e. flight time) burn up an impeller faster than cruising around on the lake?

Sorry for all the questions
All very good questions. I was expecting to take a beating on my ignorance (I probably still will) but I guess I'm not the only one with ???????'s
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I just pulled my stock impellor to replace it (replacing housing also).
Everything looks in good shape, but I figured might as well - cheap insurance.
What are the thoughts of hanging on to the old parts for an emergency on-water repair if need be?? Looks like you can reverse the wear plate if that would be of any benefit. If you needed to do this, would it be best to run it the same direction it previously ran, or reverse it?
I've kept some old ones when they come out in really great shape. I keep them on board just in case. If you are far enough away from home, it is much faster to replace one than to limp home on one engine.

I have been storing them with the impeller out of the housing. Since the rubber was in such good shape, no cracks etc, I took it out of the housing and lubricated it so that it would help keep it in good enough shape to use in an emergency.

For the hours question - I've had them last as long as 250+ hours. But I change them about every 100 hours. My personal feeling is lack of use is hard on them. Dry starts, if you do that, is very hard on them. So try to make sure you have water up to the housing when you start up.

If you shread one while you are out some time, make sure you back flush the water hose before you re-hook everything up after putting the replacement pump on.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater

I apoligize for my ignorance but does usage or non-usage effect the life?

This is a killer of impellers. If you take a look at the inpeller in the housing, you can see that certain vanes are bent over very sharply while others are not. When it's running this is not a problem. When they sit for extended time, this bending will cause the vanes to be stressed and even begin to tear at the base. If they sit too long, they will simply self destruct when started.

Depends on usage. If the boat is used daily( no long term sitting) they can last for many years.

Doesn't seem to matter(atleast what I've seen over the years)

No.

Not that I have experienced.

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance
No problems, that's what makes this site so great. BTW I always have my impellers changed every spring, regardless of hours. Simply cheap insurance.

Darrell.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
mjc
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a new one with me all the time. Mine have always failed right after launching the boat. The last one replaced parked in a slip at the ramp in about 1/2 hour. I then get a new one and have it ready just in case. I try to replaced at least every other year and have only had one fail twice in 15 years
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran these in my Mercury 575 boat and my Ilmor 625 boat and both over heated. I brought both back to the standard black Impellers.

I have heard good experiences too, but with my 2 packages they did not work.

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Run Dry Impellers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.