Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them? >

Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?

Notices

Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Drag induced from a small contact area on each tab is less than the drag induced from the total area from each rocker plate in constant contact with the water. If both are able to alter the flow of water past the hull downward, and and thus force the stern up and the bow down, why not choose the tab that creates less drag?

I understand the ease or correcting a problem with a simple bolt on. But why add wetted surface when either rocker or hook can be added or removed from the hull, or the cg can be changed?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Rocker Plates
Attached Thumbnails Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?-skater-trailer-rocker-arneson.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BradH
Drag induced from a small contact area on each tab is less than the drag induced from the total area from each rocker plate in constant contact with the water. If both are able to alter the flow of water past the hull downward, and and thus force the stern up and the bow down, why not choose the tab that creates less drag?

I understand the ease or correcting a problem with a simple bolt on. But why add wetted surface when either rocker or hook can be added or removed from the hull, or the cg can be changed?
you don't necessarily add surface. Big boats, as well as the big cat shown above, use them integrated into the hull design.

Look at big sport fishing boats, most use the rocker design in some fashion, except more simplified.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Because you can add or remove rocker/hook INSTANTLY and choose how much you want to add/remove. The benefit isn't from the added wetted surface(although with some boats it would help), the benefit is the added wetted surface can be instantly adjusted.

The theory behind them is using them for hook will give you more stern lift with less drag than a K-plane=more speed and using them for rocker will give you more bow lift with less positeve trim-more speed.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
Rocker Plates

Nice! . . . what boat is that?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are available. $1700
Attached Thumbnails Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?-imgp0968-r1.jpg   Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?-imgp0486.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
These are available. $1700

Dayuum that's a nice looking business-end of your boat!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Because you can add or remove rocker/hook INSTANTLY and choose how much you want to add/remove. The benefit isn't from the added wetted surface(although with some boats it would help), the benefit is the added wetted surface can be instantly adjusted.

The theory behind them is using them for hook will give you more stern lift with less drag than a K-plane=more speed and using them for rocker will give you more bow lift with less positeve trim-more speed.
OK, but if they are able to increase speed, why are they rarely seen on raceboats?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

OK, but if they are able to increase speed, why are they rarely seen on raceboats?
As Clay said in racing situations maybe because they poduce less drag so they can't use them to drag and lean the boat into high speed turns?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben -

I may be interested. Can you tell me all about them. As you know I have some issues with my Pantera, big engine and Konrad drive. i have been dropping port tab to keep the boat upright and stop the roll. Several sources have recommended these to me.

Why did you remove them if I could ask.

Email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Kirk

Quick Reply: Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.