Notices

Nordic 35 vs. Formula 353

Old 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Paul at tri state performance marine a call @ 631 724 8707. I have purchased 4 boats from him and he has been terrific. He sells nordic and AT and I think he has a 38 formula with 525's that is mint for sale.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my opinion if anyone cares. Nordic's are West Coast and the grapics are done in the gel coat. (And they do a great job) If you scuff it up, all you need to do is buff it out and it will look fine. Formula and AT and most East Coast boats are a "Paint Job" _ if you bone it up, back to the paint shop it goes. I've had the pleasure of riding in Sick Nordic in some pretty snotty water and thought it handled great. I wouldn't worry about 2 to 3 footers. My 28 Nordic handles 2 to 3 footers with ease. Handles great and is fast. My wife... who could give a crap about boats says that Formula looks like an old man's boat because of the stainless clunky looking windshield. She thinks the Nordic is Sexy looking. She has no idea what an AT is. My next boat will most likely be the 35 Nordic or possibly the 33 A/T, but I'm afraid of a paint job. I trailer 100% of the time and with paint you would need to be more careful. Gel coat is more forgiving. I've seen a few Nice Paint Jobs that needed to be repainted due to "minor" OH Schlitz's at the dock. I think the A/T would be the Best ride in the rough and a much deeper freeboard than the Nordic and Formula. If your looking for an all out rough rider, the A/T would be my choice. From what I've read, Nordics new ownership is stepping it up a notch and they are now using McLoad interiors and also no wood construction. I purchased my Nordic new in 05, it has approx 150 hrs on it and have Zero "Quality Issues" Why would the words West Coast scare you? Nordic has been building boats since 1962. If there were quality issues I don't believe they would still be in business. If your a subscriber to Powerboat Magazine, you'll find that they have always raved about the Quality, Handling and Ride of Nordic. They use Mercury, Livorsi and all top shelf hardware. You won't be dissapointed. I'm not bashing Formula, I think they build a great boat, I just don't care for any of the standard graphics. Nordic standard graphics IMO are real nice and as you can see by looking at Sick Nordic, they will pretty much due whatever you want. Best of Luck with whatever you decide to purchase. Keep us updated.

PS: I purchased my Nordic from TSPM also. He's a reputable guy and won't steer you wrong and like he mentioned, he carries Nordic and Active Thunder. Give him a call. His name is Paul.
Attached Thumbnails Nordic 35 vs. Formula 353-photos-050.jpg  

Last edited by raytart; 02-02-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey TC Boss,

It's was a pleasure meeting you last Sat. at the Louisville boat show. The 35 Nordic you are referencing is my personal boat.

I have owned seven Nordic boats dating back to 1992, including three 35's. I am pleased to say that all are still on the water and still look great, including my 1992 Venture.

Formula makes a great boat, but as others have suggested, Nordic and Formula are two completely different boats. I could list the differences but they are clearly articulated throughout this thread.

As a Nordic Dealer and owner, I question concerns related to the "wood free" issue. In all seven Nordic's I owned, I received a life time warranty on all wood products. In addition, dating back to my 1992 Venture, I have never had a wood related issue. I do agree that composites are strong and do not absorb moisture, again this has never been a problem. Also, my experience is that composite material is heavy.

Go-forward Nordic Dealers will learn much more about the new materials and new products Feb. 15th at the Nordic annual meeting.

My two cents

NG
Old 02-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

All three are boats I would own. AT would be my first choice, then Nordic. Although if your looking for rough water handling and space, Sonic wins. I wouldn't worry about paint vs gel. Gel is more durable, but paint is easy to have fixed and body shops are everywhere. Good gel work is harder to find.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

A picture from last Sat. TC Boss, didn't want you to forget what it looked like:
Attached Thumbnails Nordic 35 vs. Formula 353-louisville-show-2008-003.jpg  
Old 02-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Very nice!