Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Joe. I have been following your posts here and on other diesel threads with interest. Nor Tech is currently building me a 50 Vee ( 3rd one ), my first with with trip Yanmar 480's hooked up to Arneson ASD 8's. It will be launched sometime in April. I went with this package because of it's proven reliability. Top speed with the Kevlar hull will be 76 MPH. They have done this same setup before and it works great.
To answer your question if Nor Tech will build using other than Yanmar, yes they will. While the boat in the production line in front of mine is similarly rigged with Yanmar's and is going to Italy the 50 following me will have a pair of Cummins 600's (?, I'm quite sure that is what Trond told me ) and is going to Greece.
I have some very interesting plans for my new boat and will be able to share with my OSO friends shortly after launch.
I am looking forward to it.
And thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work.
Bob

Congrats BOB, another beautiful boat Get some larger res. pics so we can see the pics in a larger format. Hopefully we will se you on a few PR this year. Jeff
Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
My perfect 43' Nortech

Use the Cummins QSC 8.3-600
Trans ZF 312 TS 1:195 or 1:00 / 0.833 2nd gear
Arneson drives

What proof it will work???? Non, other than some real world similar examples and you will have to believe that the theory works after you read this.

Super Hero 46' pleasure boat (big & heavy ex Monte Carlo), in Motorboat maginzine 1990 (month?) with me!!! Twin 600 hp 3,000 rpm Seateks and a .93 overdrive gear/single speed & Big 17.5" wheels. The magazine tests put it at 74 mph which flies in the face of everything I've said so far. The boat had great low speed planing, got on plane real well and great cruise effeciency. The Big dia wheels kept it on plane but they had no pitch.

When you ran this boat at WOT the engines didn't make any horsepower. How can I tell that? The flowscans showed we were at no where near burning what those engines burn and we were right against the governor at all times with the engines running in the cutting fuel back area past the governor.

If you prop that boat right, it can't get on plane, just can't do it.

Now, the 38 race boat which was very heavy because of construction and fuel load, (don't forget like 7X Time says those boats raced in excess of 200 miles in Europe), they carried lots of fuel and diesel weighs about 1 lb a gal more than gas!

38 race boat - under 600 hp Seateks, .83 OD gears, little props under 16" I think 15" with lots of pitch. Boat ran 92 mph but could not plane below 50-55 mph and took forever to get on plane, had to have ballast full and sometimes turn in a tight circle to get up on plane. That boat still had trouble with the rpms going past the governor!!!!

So, with a two speed you can turn a bigger dia wheel with the reduction to get up on plane and then upshift and be able to use all the available horsepower the engine has available.

I built the first pleasure 400 hp engines and put them in the field testing. Cummins Marine only 300hp versions out there when I had our 400hp running. I can if you want show you dyno sheets from 600 hp C's? Our dyno sheets were the Supeflows for short testing and developement only. We did alot of endurnace on 500 hp C's, probably about 1,100 hours continuious on a electric dyno (generator) at 80% load. They did just fine and these were all mechanical with very little modifications over a stock 300hp Marine engine.

So, I guess it's part fact and part fiction!!!!

Jeff, I enjoy our discussions, hopefully we'll meet one day?

Joe

PS, how many rpm's did your enegines turn up, my guess is you went over 3,400 which meant you weren't using all the Hp you had?

Very interesting read, again I like the info and learning more about these diesel platforms. I will be doing another diesel...someday... I believe on the rpms we hit 3370 for a top speed of 74.6 or 74.8...That was a std layup, not the same layup as Bob's 50 or my vacuum bagged 43 layup which is just slightly lighter..still heavy at 13800, but I'll take that any day of the week over a carbon epoxy layup. No potatoe chip boat for me.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mopeds and Fat Chicks

Originally Posted by Jassman
Very interesting read, again I like the info and learning more about these diesel platforms. I will be doing another diesel...someday... I believe on the rpms we hit 3370 for a top speed of 74.6 or 74.8...That was a std layup, not the same layup as Bob's 50 or my vacuum bagged 43 layup which is just slightly lighter..still heavy at 13800, but I'll take that any day of the week over a carbon epoxy layup. No potatoe chip boat for me.
Jassman,
Dude Buzzi builds a 43 foot diesel patrol boat that cruises at 70 mph and can break 90 mph at WOT. It's an ugly as sin RIB. But once you ride in one its like mopeds and fat chicks fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you riding them. Anyways heard Buzzi is going to put out a dressed up version for the civilian market. Imagine being running flat out in your 43' and a rubber boat the same size goes whizzing by.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Registered

Arrow

Wouldn't mind having these puppies in my engine bay again . They are comparable in weight to the 6.2 L replacement I've got in my boat now !
I still have the Bravo 1 diesel 1X drives .

http://www.marine-power.co.uk/mercru...sterndrive.htm
Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 PM

To each his own

Originally Posted by spectras only
Wouldn't mind having these puppies in my engine bay again . They are comparable in weight to the 6.2 L replacement I've got in my boat now !
I still have the Bravo 1 diesel 1X drives .

http://www.marine-power.co.uk/mercru...sterndrive.htm
CMD will sell you some less the drives if you want them. Look in the inboard section for a QSD4.2-350i

http://www.cmdmarine.com/recreationalinboards.html
Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Jassman,
Dude Buzzi builds a 43 foot diesel patrol boat that cruises at 70 mph and can break 90 mph at WOT. It's an ugly as sin RIB. But once you ride in one its like mopeds and fat chicks fun to ride but you don't want your friends to see you riding them. Anyways heard Buzzi is going to put out a dressed up version for the civilian market. Imagine being running flat out in your 43' and a rubber boat the same size goes whizzing by.
This is a FB Design that was at the recent Miami boat show. It appears to be a 55 and yes it too will hold a lot of fat chicks. LOL. It would appear to have CAT power.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-2008_0215_114033.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-2008_0215_114017.jpg  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:22 PM

The "B" in FB is Buzzi

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
This is a FB Design that was at the recent Miami boat show. It appears to be a 55 and yes it too will hold a lot of fat chicks. LOL. It would appear to have CAT power.
Bob
I gotta test ride in a police version over in asia 78.2 knots @ WOT and cruised @ 65.3 knots on my handheld gps. The shock adsorbing seats were the bombdigidy. Alberto sent me a invite to check the 55 at Miami but I was neck deep in a job and couldn't make it. Heard Brunswick will be pedaling Buzzi's RIBs to the US Gov.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default powerful diesels

I found one that is used in marine applications and can be found online@ "the most powerful diesel engine in the world'.i don't think a 2 speed trans will be needed.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
I found one that is used in marine applications and can be found online@ "the most powerful diesel engine in the world'.i don't think a 2 speed trans will be needed.

and..let me guess who's selling it
Old 02-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to diesel place...com ,their are 900-1100hp duramaxs running around,and the banks engs are stock long block duramax's with intake and marine exhaust on them and computers set diff as there arn't any epa regs

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.