Diesel engines in speed boat >

Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

29Firefox-

That is interesting, they milled off the casting, wow ahead of our time by 15 years!!

I see basis "D" shaped exhaust port, thank you BIg Block Chevy!!!

What do you do that you know about the 7100 series pumps? I guess bigger plunger/barrel sets are available now? That is a great pump, very small in size.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few pictures of the most interesting I have found.

Ernie
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-july7_7_test%2520engine%2520fuel%2520and%2520nitrous.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-intakemanifold2.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-july7_7_test%2520engine%2520right%2520side%2520front.jpg  

Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
6. Polishing & porting works better on the diesel heads because you have no fuel to drop out of the airsteam like on a gas engine - port eveything and get rid of the swirl ramp in the intake ports, they kill air flow.
I guess it depends on what your goal is. If you don't care about having a dirty engine, or one that has poor fuel economy, then by all means ignore chamber turbulence.

Michael
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few more
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-rightside.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-twinturbos.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-12%2520valve%2520exhaust%2520manifold.jpg  

Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

michael,

I agree with you they serve a purpose but you can't get enough air in there to make 500-700 hp like the question was.

I also agree that at low speeds it will hurt engine because that swirl helps create velocity and at low rpm with no boost the engine won't breath that well. It like putting bigger valves in a gas engine, they loose the low rpm's of the power band.

TopSpin80,

Look at those exhaust manifolds, 1,2,3 & 4,5,6 tied together. I also see on the one head they milled off the cast intake which is exactly what the Banks head looked like. You can't get into all the ports as well as you might want to without doing that.

But, you can get in and do lots of work on the ramps without cutting off the cast in manifold.

Let's see where this goes.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post, but I've been lurking for a long time. This is a good thread with lots of info. I have to put my $.01 in as well.

Removing the swirl ramps in the Cummins head results in very large gains in flow for high hp applications. Milling of the "manifold" doesn't do a lot on its own, but it does allow you to do additional porting to pick up some more flow. Maybe 75% of the gains to be had are from removing the material that shrouds the valves (and you can get to it easily with the valves out). A new manifold can also improve cylinder to cylinder distribution, if the manifold is done right.

I agree with Joe about combining 1,2,3 and 4,5,6. It's been done before and it works. I saw it on a 700hp marinized ISB, with one turbo on each manifold. They were parallel twins. I wouldn't recommend that level of output on a stock block for long term usage at rated speed. The block can fail at the top of the cylinder where it joins the firedeck...possibly a thermal fatigue issue due to locally poor coolant flow. If it's for short bursts to rated speed with mostly cruising, it's probably not a problem.

I'm not sure I agree than a header style exhaust will make a LOT more power. I've got no argument against it being better, but can't really say how much. Picking up a bit of boost only helps if you've got fuel to burn (ie smoke) and there are probably easier ways to pick up boost. It's certainly not cheap to build water jacketed header style exhaust.

I'd pass on the VG turbo in favor of less complicated solution. Joe's idea about switching between one and two is a good one. It's in current production engines from MTU as well, switching between one and three. With a manual valve you'd have to be careful to not accidentally over-speed when running on one. Having the computer do it for you would be a much better option.

There are better pistons available off-the-shelf. Mahle is selling a Monotherm steel piston that will work well and is very durable. You will not break one. Period. I think they're a few hundred $ per cylinder with a ring set. The stock pistons may work...for awhile. I'm not sure how a Cummins Marine piston differs from the pickup truck version (bowl shape maybe).

I'm afraid none of this truly addresses the original question of how to do it in the cheapest possible way. The cheap way will probably be a nightmare in real life and end up costing you more than you expect in the long run. So, buy a used marine engine. Doing it yourself, the right way, will cost more.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Magic

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
29Firefox-

That is interesting, they milled off the casting, wow ahead of our time by 15 years!!

I see basis "D" shaped exhaust port, thank you BIg Block Chevy!!!

What do you do that you know about the 7100 series pumps? I guess bigger plunger/barrel sets are available now? That is a great pump, very small in size.
It's more than pumps & plungers.The pump dude gets in there and messes with the rack & governor and the cam looks different. They won't tell me exactly what they do. The only problem I've had with the modified pumps is indexing.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM

1,2,3, & 4,5,6,

Making a totally different exhaust manifold would work real good. But theres that red neck step that will get you in that direction without major cost. The stock configuration of a turbo at the end of a log manifold sucks. If you put temp sensors in each manifold port you will get 6 different temps. #1 being the lowest and each temp climbing with #6 being the highest. Now the stock QSB exhaust manifold has a hold over from the 6BT. Some of the 6BT engines were used to power gensets. To move the turbo and exhaust away from the genset back end they designed a second outlet in the middle on the top of the marine manifold. To reduce cost they designed the stock manifold to be used in either configuration. The gen set outlet is on top right between 3 &4. By changing the outlet port the stock manifold mimics a 123&456 header. It's not as good as a purpose built header but it costs a lot less.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Another problem,

Past 550 hp on the QSB you start having problems with the lift pump and fuel filters starving the pressure pump. Easy fix bigger lift pump (Holley) and bigger filters (Racor). Don't forget that you have to filter down to 2 microns for the common rail injectors to survive. Past 600 hp injector flow isn't up to snuff. Have the tips extrude honed.Then some where between 750 hp and 800 hp the pressure pump can't keep up. Heard some people have gotten past that by adding an extra belt driven pressure pump plumbed parallel to the stock one. Ain't seen one in person yet.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by mthill
First post, but I've been lurking for a long time. This is a good thread with lots of info. I have to put my $.01 in as well.

Removing the swirl ramps in the Cummins head results in very large gains in flow for high hp applications. Milling of the "manifold" doesn't do a lot on its own, but it does allow you to do additional porting to pick up some more flow. Maybe 75% of the gains to be had are from removing the material that shrouds the valves (and you can get to it easily with the valves out). A new manifold can also improve cylinder to cylinder distribution, if the manifold is done right.

I agree with Joe about combining 1,2,3 and 4,5,6. It's been done before and it works. I saw it on a 700hp marinized ISB, with one turbo on each manifold. They were parallel twins. I wouldn't recommend that level of output on a stock block for long term usage at rated speed. The block can fail at the top of the cylinder where it joins the firedeck...possibly a thermal fatigue issue due to locally poor coolant flow. If it's for short bursts to rated speed with mostly cruising, it's probably not a problem.

I'm not sure I agree than a header style exhaust will make a LOT more power. I've got no argument against it being better, but can't really say how much. Picking up a bit of boost only helps if you've got fuel to burn (ie smoke) and there are probably easier ways to pick up boost. It's certainly not cheap to build water jacketed header style exhaust.

I'd pass on the VG turbo in favor of less complicated solution. Joe's idea about switching between one and two is a good one. It's in current production engines from MTU as well, switching between one and three. With a manual valve you'd have to be careful to not accidentally over-speed when running on one. Having the computer do it for you would be a much better option.

There are better pistons available off-the-shelf. Mahle is selling a Monotherm steel piston that will work well and is very durable. You will not break one. Period. I think they're a few hundred $ per cylinder with a ring set. The stock pistons may work...for awhile. I'm not sure how a Cummins Marine piston differs from the pickup truck version (bowl shape maybe).

I'm afraid none of this truly addresses the original question of how to do it in the cheapest possible way. The cheap way will probably be a nightmare in real life and end up costing you more than you expect in the long run. So, buy a used marine engine. Doing it yourself, the right way, will cost more.
I love steel pistons. Stronger and better piston to bore clearances across the temp range.

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.