Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel engines in speed boat >

Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Step 2

It's totally possible to stuff enough fuel and air in the Dmax to get the horsepower and cool it enough to keep it from melting down. But the twin 1000 lb gorillas still sitting in the room are "crankshaft harmonics" and "main bearing loading". Ask Joe how bad those twins beat him down back in the day

Last edited by 29Firefox; 04-30-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting for you to explain what is wrong with cross-plane V8 harmonics....
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Have not posted before so Hi all, normally just read through the topics discussed on this forum...have watched the Buzzi 38' winged mono that HabanaJoe mentioned race numerous times in the Uk, it was in Class 2 with 750Hpx2 Seatek engines it seemed to run around mid 90'sMPH and rocked from side to side a bit scary, but by far the fastest Class 2 mono back then, and the big Buzzi 4 engined 44' mostly minced the opposition in the late 80's with it's 110+mph ability, as pointed out it has been totally rebuilt back in the Buzzi yard in Italy

http://fbdesign.it/newscesa_barca.php

It will see action again racing around the Uk with 4 Fiat diesel engines, these engines have been campaigned by a Sunseeker in P1 with 480HP each, the boat is in fact a Buzzi built hull fitted out at the Sunseeker yard... Buzzi said in a press release he will endeavour to squeeze a few more horses from this 5.9ltr in line engine for the Round Britain 2008 powerboat race, they are now fitted in the old Class 1 race monohull

http://www.roundbritainrace.co.uk/index1.htm

Last edited by aquafun; 04-30-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

aquafun,

750hp on the Ebel was on a good day!!! LOL The first engines Ebel had were the smaller displacement engines, later she went to the larger engines and then finally the twin turbo engines. The twin turbos were a 850hp, some people said 1,000 hp but when you dynoed them they could pull a big number while accelerating but when you lock them down to a steady pull the numbers dropped.

Scary to run that boat, that is an understatement!!!! Everyone used to comment on the Gancia how she chine walked, until you ran Ebel you had no idea what chine walk was - that boat was scary!!!!

Nice to have you on the diesel side!!!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 04-30-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
aquafun,
Nice to have you on the diesel side!!!
Thank you...It certainly has made good reading that's for sure...over on Boatmad they are discussing the launch of another diesel boat for the RB 08 that will be crewed by the Top Gear car team so it will be very interesting to see how reliable it is and what speeds are attained

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10862
Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Njawb
Still waiting for you to explain what is wrong with cross-plane V8 harmonics....
They break, ask Joe And if you wanna crunch numbers consider this. A 90 degree crank has 1.3 times the stress per degree of deflection than a 120 degree crank.

Last edited by 29Firefox; 04-30-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

aquafun,

Help me out here - what was the red and yellow, Don Shead UIM 2 boat from 1989 that ran the Sabre diesels - I have no memory yet I can see that damm boat running?????

firefox29 - did big V8 American truck diesels break alot, yes, again why??? You put a 3408 in a genny or a boat and you can't kill them. Truck are a different breed, all that loading when letting the clutch out and all the rapid speed changes - maybe????

Look, I'll admitt, times have changed, materials have gotten better, designs have improved. In Europe like other people point out here V8 diesels are a big thing. Probably and I'll go out and say a large reason why the American companies probably still stay away from V's is people like myself still remember how bad they were and just won't buy them.

All my remarks about V's vs I-lines is simply - do you think the old V's failed because of design inherent to a V or simply not as durable as an I-line?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Njawb
You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?
Guess that means you are lost...also proves what Darrel said. In the mean time go down to your local crank balancing shop. Have them balance a Duramax crank. Mark all the counters the flywheel and the dampener down the centerline. Spin the crank and freeze the marks with a strobe tach. Run a laser line down the marks. Do the same with a QSB crank. Your light bulb will burn a little brighter
Old 05-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe ,what did break when you used these V 8,s in trucks ?
And was that problem just related to the same part (s) ?

If it was related to the rotating assy,could it be due the low engine speed /heavy load ,when dumb the clutch while pulling up from a dead stop ?
If the bearing surface is smaller than an L6 ...the hydraulic pressure the crank forces to the oil/bearing surface is maybe the case ?

What about if the bottem of a V 8 diesel engine was not strong enough,to withstand those forces,and the bolts /main caps could move left &right.......
In a 6 in Line there is maybe less movement cause of the forces coming from above ?

I,ve seen this in V8 gassers ,when people put a supercharger on top without modding the bottem end ,the main caps had movement ,there was the occilating marks (like an excentric sanding machine) on the surface of both the block&cap, the clamping force was just not big enough.

Maybe I,m thinking wrong ,cause I don,t know what went wrong with the V8 diesels .

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.