Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess that means you are lost
One of us is.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
aquafun,

Help me out here - what was the red and yellow, Don Shead UIM 2 boat from 1989 that ran the Sabre diesels - I have no memory yet I can see that damm boat running?????
yes that is correct it is a Don Shed design of around 40' and sabre Marathon diesel engines were fitted of around 500HP (increasing in power as each year went by )into it in the early 80's ...during the 80's, and in the Uk's own class races it mostly won and seemed quite reliable until it met your winged Buzzi beasty then it's only chance would be a very rough race which it always excelled at...the engines were ford based units the second link on boatmad explains
History here
http://www.classicoffshore.com/abo.htm

and how it is now
http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=sabre
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Registered

Any experience with Nor-Tech equipped with diesels? I know they offer packages for their boats but I've never seen one.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

oso member jassman had a 43 with two. I think he is probably working on another one now with some d-maxes, well i get that idea from his posts. Also oso member Bobthebuilder just built a 50 with some in it as well. See his thread about his new boat.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

stirling - that's it the bottom ends would fail, bearing just didn't last long on them. I believe that the bearing sizes and caps just weren't large enough as well.

I tried to make the exact point your mentioning about the V8's vs the I-line a couple times and just got beat up about it - maybe I just didn't say it right?

My problem when I write on here is that when I mention performance diesels and durability I relate to the extremes of really racing offshore where you throttled a boat constantly. I don't consider that lots of people never really throttle their boats - they jump a few waves cover a couple miles and then slow down, how many people take out their pleasure boat and run it as hard as it can go for 150 miles in the ocean non-stop every other week - no one on here.

I apologize that I look at the extremes.

Aquafun - you found her!!! I have to tell you at AC in '89 she almost beat Ebel, but it was very rough your right. I think she was faster than you give her credit for and the Ebel not as fast as you remember?

They confirmed #3 drives and those Ford engines, not the Cargo Stars that Merlin made but special engines - I knew it!! They mention my smaller Seateks as well, I don't thing they ever made more than 600-625 hp, they were the early engines and the Gancia ran them as well.

When we refitted Gancia with the big engines 850-900 hp the boat ran 114 on Lake Como during testing. With the 4 little engines 600-625hp she ran 104-106? That boat was just not capable of any more speed, out of hull limits.

The difference was she could run at 105 mph for 165 miles and never miss a beat or slow down. We had the bow ballast tank plus an additional bow fuel transfer tank for weight. That boat was a beast - I have to say one of the best big water boat ever built. Not as graceful as an Apache 47 but could take the rough water for more miles without any damage.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Any experience with Nor-Tech equipped with diesels? I know they offer packages for their boats but I've never seen one.
Here ya go. Trip Yanmar 480's. 2 weeks old. 75 MPH first time out with 400 gals fuel and 7 people on board. I love this boat !!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-100_0112_-medium-.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-100_0113_-medium-.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-ft-myers-pr-april-08-009-large-.jpg  

Old 05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Here ya go. Trip Yanmar 480's. 2 weeks old. 75 MPH first time out with 400 gals fuel and 7 people on board. I love this boat !!
Bob
What, no pic of the Rooster Tail?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
What, no pic of the Rooster Tail?
No rooster pic, Rik. But here is some of your hardware. Nor Tech has some great people. Very happy.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-2008_0218_151035-medium-2-.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-103_0337-large-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Bob
Old 05-02-2008, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Njawb
Still waiting for you to explain what is wrong with cross-plane V8 harmonics....
You just don't want an explanation

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.