Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel engines in speed boat >

Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a long thread but figured I would chime in. I love my two 10 liter seateks in my scarab meteor "fiver" . I am running fixed surface drives from new zealand called q-spd and so far a great repower. I stuck with the older mechanical engines and am glad i did. The boat smokes heavy on start up and after a little load the smoke dissappears. The thing I wanted to share about the seateks iss how well laid out they are for repairs. I have never seen an easier engine to work on. The comment about maintenence is right on..since they are easy to maintain...maintain them often. what a difference in useability compared to i/o's...i leave her on a mooring and clean the bottom...that is it. Feels much better than watching the aluminum dissolve on the trs drives.
running 60 mph at wot but getting new props end of summer since she spools up to max rpm right away and jumps up on plane....i was too conservative with weight estimate i think as I thought everything would be 20k lbs and i am at 18k full up.

As an aside there is a biodiesel distributor that pulls up to the dock here in padanaram, mass and fills me up with mil spec b20 now that i have viton seals in the injector pump...kinda cool to run the fuel distilled from the burger joints at 20 percent for now.

great site btw....
mark
Old 07-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

About 6 years ago a guy overhere bought a Bruno Abatte 50 ft Primatist with 2 x 10,3 L Seateks and fixed surface drives,this boat was unbelievable in the rough ,we took it out on the North sea with 8-10 ft seas , this boat was build very heavy and doesn,t seem to bother the pounding .

We however did smashed up in the boat ,I never forget when we tunned the boat at sea ,and having tailwind /waves ,Oh F*ck it felt like we flew this boat 15 ft or more in to the air when using the waves as a launching ramp.

The engines did just like yours smoke a lot when accelerating ,and the boat only took off when the tabs were down,we measured her at 63 mph .

Nice to hear those turbo,s spool,and the engines are revving up .
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd time around

Just blowing the dust off
Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Just blowing the dust off
Been reading the whole thread and not a word about one of the largest dieselengine manufacturers in the business-VOLVO! (Okay -I live in Sweden)

But... I have these great D6-435-engines with DPR-duoprop drives on my 36 ft RIB -"Vilda".
The boat weighs 12000 lbs emtpy and we "cruised" 2500 miles first from Sweden to England and then around he island
during the "Round Britain 2008 Powerboat Race".

The "cruise" speed was 65-75 mph depending on the weather.
The engines never missed a beat.Unfortunately I could not find any larger propellers so the topspeed was the same as cruisespeed.
One day we had an average of almost 70 mph on a 210 mile leg. The Volvo-engines were running at the max
3700 rpm(raised 100) for many hours and I never touched the throttle even when we were in the air.
The electronics on these engines is the best throttleman you can have!
www.teamvilda.se
Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 7075T6
Been reading the whole thread and not a word about one of the largest dieselengine manufacturers in the business-VOLVO! (Okay -I live in Sweden)

But... I have these great D6-435-engines with DPR-duoprop drives on my 36 ft RIB -"Vilda".
The boat weighs 12000 lbs emtpy and we "cruised" 2500 miles first from Sweden to England and then around he island
during the "Round Britain 2008 Powerboat Race".

The "cruise" speed was 65-75 mph depending on the weather.
The engines never missed a beat.Unfortunately I could not find any larger propellers so the topspeed was the same as cruisespeed.
One day we had an average of almost 70 mph on a 210 mile leg. The Volvo-engines were running at the max
3700 rpm(raised 100) for many hours and I never touched the throttle even when we were in the air.
The electronics on these engines is the best throttleman you can have!
www.teamvilda.se
Volvos are great and the best selling on the international market. Volve makes up a big chunk of my work. Volvo has always put together great power to weight ratio packages. Their engines are engineered to near max performance. With Volvo you get what you paid for. The thing is there isn't very much horsepower left to tweak out of them. Also Volvo has the highest cost per horsepower for initial purchase. But the after service network mitigates some of that cost. Both Yanmar and Cummins brag about worldwide service availability. Volvo just quietly provides it. The D-6 435 is Volvo's engine to go after the market that Yanmar's 6LY3-ETP and Cummin's QSB 5.9L are competing for.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Volvos are great and the best selling on the international market. Volve makes up a big chunk of my work. Volvo has always put together great power to weight ratio packages. Their engines are engineered to near max performance. With Volvo you get what you paid for. The thing is there isn't very much horsepower left to tweak out of them. Also Volvo has the highest cost per horsepower for initial purchase. But the after service network mitigates some of that cost. Both Yanmar and Cummins brag about worldwide service availability. Volvo just quietly provides it. The D-6 435 is Volvo's engine to go after the market that Yanmar's 6LY3-ETP and Cummin's QSB 5.9L are competing for.
The Volvo D6-435 is perfect for surfacedrives when you need a lot of grunt at low revs.
The combination of supercharger and turbo gives the engine a unique powerband that no other
manufacturer can match. On my engines the supercharger kicks in from idle to 2200 rpm when the turbo takes over.

The 435 has larger turbo,intercooler, supercharger and injectors than the other D6-engines.Also other pistons.
It is easy to get 500 REAL horsepower from these engines.
The D6-435 is rated 435 hp/3500 rpm and 772 lbf/2500 rpm.Tops out very smooth between 3600-3630 rpm.
This is continuos power at up to 55 C temperature.

The Yanmar 6LY3-ETP(480) is rated 436 hp continuos power at 3200rpm at 40 C.
The Volvo-engine is also 90 lb lighter and 1,5 inch shorter.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM

The Volvo D6-435 is perfect for surfacedrives when you need a lot of grunt at low revs.
The combination of supercharger and turbo gives the engine a unique powerband that no other
manufacturer can match. On my engines the supercharger kicks in from idle to 2200 rpm when the turbo takes over.

The 435 has larger turbo,intercooler, supercharger and injectors than the other D6-engines.Also other pistons.
It is easy to get 500 REAL horsepower from these engines.
The D6-435 is rated 435 hp/3500 rpm and 772 lbf/2500 rpm.Tops out very smooth between 3600-3630 rpm.
This is continuos power at up to 55 C temperature.

The Yanmar 6LY3-ETP(480) is rated 436 hp continuos power at 3200rpm at 40 C.
The Volvo-engine is also 90 lb lighter and 1,5 inch shorter.
And how much more?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And how much more?
Some...
Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

The combination of supercharger and turbo gives the engine a unique powerband that no other manufacturer can match.
Should this be construed as fact or opinion? It sounds like an rude question, but I don't mean it that way.

Speaking as an observer, the advertised power curves for the D6-435 and the QSB 425 are virutally identical if you normalize the rpm operating range (0-100% instead of actual rpm).

In absolute terms, at a given rpm, the Volvo makes less power. For example, at 1800 rpm, the Volvo is advertised to make 233 hp while the Cummins is advertised to make 356 hp [edit:295 hp]. Since the Volvo runs to a higher rpm (3500 vs 3000), I have chosen to compare them on the basis of normalized rpm. At roughly 41% of rated speed, the Cummins and Volvo are both advertised at 228 hp. I think this is a more meaningful way of comparing the two.

Is one of them publishing false info?

Am I way off base in making this comparison?

It makes sense to me the the Volvo would have a stronger torque curve down low due to the SC, but I don't see it in the data.

Does anyone know where to get real test data for these engines?

Last edited by mthill; 10-08-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: wrong hp for cummins
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

mthill,

My 2 cents on what 7075T6 is saying is not Hp but acceleration. I think your correct about shear Hp numbers be equal when normalized.

7075T6 is making refernce from "idle to 2,200 rpm's" hence I beleive acceleration or ability to pull from a dead idle to get up on plane and run.

I beleive him that the supercharger /turbo feels like it pulls stronger. In one of my old reponses I talked about a roots blower on top of a Nav 7.3 L and a turbo because of how it could accelerate better.

Take a 6-71TI (426 cui) (blower + turbo) and a Cummins 903 (903 cui) both 400-435 hp range and that 2 stroke DD will get a boat on plane much quicker than the Cummins could dream of ( I know old school engines but same principle).

7075T6 - if I mis-understood what you were saying I apologize, it's just how I interpret it.

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.