Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmb1949
Can diesels be used in offshore racing?
http://fbdesign.it/current%20racing%20boats.php The first boat is the Gancia (in current dress), Joe mentioned. Four FPT-650hp.

A pair of SeaTek 950hp. They won the 2010 P1 GPS. http://www.metamarinecorse.it/html/gallery-2010.cfm

Cookee, here on the board. He runs Yanmar 8V-370s, and took 5th overall at CTC last year, and would have taken 3rd, if he had not broken a wheel and had to limp home slushing the last 15miles. www.bananashark.com

Last edited by goatskin; 01-29-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by burklybarratt
I have a wellcraft meteor and would love to re power also, cant wait for cummins to break in to the market. It would be so nice to finally get some range out of a tank of fuel instead of feeding three thirsty big blocks.
Wait no longer: https://marine.cummins.com/MarineECM.../QSC8_3_SS.pdf

600-ish hp, less than 2,000# WOT ... gallon a mile.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Registered

Just wonderd has anyone run a BULLEY DOG PROPANE INJECTION kit on a marine diesel ,i put one on my chev 6.5 turbo back in the 90s it gave that truck a kick up the ass , just a thought.

Last edited by paul buckner; 01-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by goatskin
Cookee, here on the board. He runs Yanmar 8V-370s, and took 5th overall at CTC last year, and would have taken 3rd, if he had not broken a wheel and had to limp home slushing the last 15miles. www.bananashark.com
You sure about that, I seem to recall there were 8 finishers in that race, and Cookee came 8th
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tony davis
You sure about that, I seem to recall there were 8 finishers in that race, and Cookee came 8th
John Cook? Cookee?? ... let raw facts get in the way of a good story? Nah.

I'm pretty sure EYE got the story upgefuct ... he would have finished 5th, and 1st in E class, save for the one-legged limp-in.

Eighteen boats started, and some number of jet-skis.

Yep, you are right, of course. I should have checked.
Cowes Torquay Cowes 2012 (from RYA)
1 - Microlink PC Fury (Phantom, 2hrs 42min, 59kts)
2 - Cinzano
3 - Smokin' Aces
4 - Hercules Sagemann
5 - Fugitive
6 - Dry Martini
7 - My Pleasure II
8 - Team E-Lites (<< Cookee 4hrs 56min)

DNS Silverline
DNS OSG Magnum Marine Wear

RET Pippa
RET Going Lean
RET Apache / Warhorse
RET Grey Ghost RET
RET Swipewipes

DNF Blastoff

DQ Biretta

Bob
Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burklybarratt
I have a wellcraft meteor and would love to re power also, cant wait for cummins to break in to the market. It would be so nice to finally get some range out of a tank of fuel instead of feeding three thirsty big blocks.
Theres a Black one from N.Y, originally overhere with twin 425hp Cats turned down to 375 with ASDs from factory.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 08-07-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 89scarabIII
Here's an article: http://teamscarab.com/news.htm seems Larry Smith's new boats only come with diesels. Does anyone here know or have seen one of these boats before? I have never heard any talk on here about Kona boats, but everyone has heard of Scarab.
in a related story: all four of the drivers and larry smith all mysteriously died in their sleep from round house kicks to the head... no one messes with chuck or any of his offshore records. most people aren't aware, that in addition to being the worlds greatest marshal artist and poet, chuck norris is also a renowned astrophysicist, and it was in this capacity that he once had an argument with stephen hawking on steady state theory... hence the wheelchair...rm
Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Steve,
Ole boy right on 3 points. The 6BT-370hp " 370B" being a 2 valve mechanical injected is one of the best deals for your money. It will give you better prolonged cruise speed than the 502s. As far as fuel consumption goes check this article out.

http://www.teamscarab.com/news.htm

Marine Gear, Arneson and Props talk to RIK he is on this thread he can get you fixed up perfect on those things.

Here is a list of things to keep in mind.

1. If you purchase new don't skimp on new batteries. Buy new ones and make sure they have enough amp hours.

2. If you buy used or rebuilt engines and they are equipped the old style sheet metal aftercoolers have them replaced with current type cast metal aftercoolers.

3. Make sure they install proper sized sea chests and thru hulls for the raw water system.

4. Keep the exhaust free flowing as possible. Under no circumstances use a "Push Up" waterlock type muffler.

Give me a holler if you need any more info. Also go here for downloads pertaining to this engine

http://www.cmdmarine.com/370b.html

what is a sea chest? im loving this thread, sum real diesel knowledge here! thx to you guys for taking the time to share your knowledge...rm
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Registered

what are your guys opinions on say the john deere based lugger diesels? my father had a pair in a 44 garlington sport fish i think they were 550hp inline six engine. im no gear head when it comes to diesels, but what about 2 stroke diesels, do you get better power to weight out of a 2t diesel? what about man diesels? i just looked at the weight of the lugger and they way a ton... what about the man and Detroit 2ts? thx, rm

Last edited by ratman; 08-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
what are your guys opinions on say the john deere based lugger diesels? my father had a pair in a 44 garlington sport fish i think they were 550hp inline six engine. im no gear head when it comes to diesels, but what about 2 stroke diesels, do you get better power to weight out of a 2t diesel? what about man diesels? i just looked at the weight of the lugger and they way a ton... what about the man and Detroit 2ts? thx, rm
RM, in the most hp/in^3 for stock (or stock-ish) diesels, esp for a gofast boat, the two popular 6.7liter are head-and-shoulders:

- FPT N67, 1.39 hp/cube, 570hp, 1433 lbs
- Cummins QSB, 1.35, 550hp, 1398 lbs

Generally speaking, any MECHANICAL diesel can be raised to 80-100hp/liter pretty easily (balance the crank, replace stock fasteners with ARP, valve job & springs, bigger log manifold, add a few turns) and still have some length of life. Beyond 100hp/l, you have to have a real careful builder.

Kaama yachts' demo boat is a 48' slushy wagon and runs 85mph with no strain with a pair of QSB 550s and they have not tried to tweak.

You feed a 'sea chest' (20-30gal glass box) from your raw-water pick-ups, THEN flow your exchangers from the box. Diesels run better with cool water, cool oil, cool fuel and transmission oil coolers.

Bob

Last edited by goatskin; 08-10-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.