Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel engines in speed boat >

Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thx for the info bob. im really learning a lot from this thread, and plan to build a 41 foot apache with diesels and arnesons in the next year...rm
Old 08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
thx for the info bob. im really learning a lot from this thread, and plan to build a 41 foot apache with diesels and arnesons in the next year...rm
clean out your PM folder, I have further words for you ...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

goatskin werent you building a diesel boat yourself?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by goatskin
clean out your PM folder, I have further words for you ...
cleared...thx
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
goatskin werent you building a diesel boat yourself?
Yup, I was, and it was a near year of educational fun and frustration, that had to be canceled at the go/no-go point, because I could not get assurances from the Venture Cup Committee & RYA that I would not be DQ on whim & caprice. like they did to Microlink in the prologue.

What started out to be a boat-in-a-box (and that will probably happen, too, this year) but it morphed into a special-purpose, any-distance, any seas endurance/marathon race-winner ... a modernised la Gran Argentina if you will: 50' cigar boat, 3000hp, +1000gal; 80kts in any seas.

Oh well, I have pissed-off more money (several times) and had a LOT less fun.

Bob

Last edited by goatskin; 08-10-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can some of you with Caterpillar marine engine experience PM me. Would like a feeling on what the Off-Shore crowd feels about CAT...good and bad. Yes I work for the company but not in the Marine Engines. Looking at a job move to Fountain Inn and would like to know what I might be getting into.

Thanks,

Sidney
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by superwrench0166
they have made way more then 190hp i have seen some 12cylinder variations they pretty much were made however big you needed one they worked good as long as they were kept clean and had good airflow
that being the case, i would suggest mounting them on your foredeck to get the best airflow possible
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burklybarratt
I have a wellcraft meteor and would love to re power also, cant wait for cummins to break in to the market. It would be so nice to finally get some range out of a tank of fuel instead of feeding three thirsty big blocks.
Theres one with twin QSD425's and SD's in Sweden for sale.
0.75gls @ 41mph cruise---go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdM-aL2Ds4
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Registered

Marine engines are usually tuned more like an industrial engine you would find in a generator, hydraulic pump or compressor. There are thousands if not millions of so-called 'marinised' automotive engines installed in boats. Quite possibly even the majority.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chardricketts
Marine engines are usually tuned more like an industrial engine you would find in a generator, hydraulic pump or compressor. There are thousands if not millions of so-called 'marinised' automotive engines installed in boats. Quite possibly even the majority.
It's not just that simple. Take for instance the good ole Cummins 6B started out as a normally aspirated industrial engine. Then someone hung a turbo on it and it became the 6BT after that came the aftercooler and became the 6BTA. Basically the same engine but going from the 180hp 6B to the 370hp 6BTA things got changed. The tiny little Lucas CAV rotary injection pump grew into Bosch P1700 inline injection pump. The compression ratio of the pistons got lowered to make room for all that air & fuel that was getting crammed in. The head got beefed up and went from a high swirl design to a low swirl design to help the extra fuel & air get in the cylinder. the block got beefed up and the oil cooler redesigned to help cool the front 2 cylinders better. The crank & rods got beefed up. Just for a good laugh lets say you take a 180hp 6B and strip it down to a longblock and strapped on all the exterior parts from a 370 6BTA. Throw it on the dyno and before it even got 1/2 way to the 370hp mark the pistons would melt down and seize up!

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.