Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! no oil changes, 2-stroke engine
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Up here, BBD are a LOT cheaper.
I have some pretty deep connections to Mercury, so I am biased. BUT, I have a friend that deals with bass boats, a few hundred of them a year.
He tells me that this the 225 HO Bomber will crush the Opti and run with the 250XS. He has only had one Etec failure. He raced as a factory driver for Merc, and has nothing be praise for the ETec, I have been in a few and have to say they are impressive!. He has more blown up Optis than all others combined.
Keep in mind that the ETec burns less oil than in the time it requires the Verado to change oil!.
Mercurys tests, like Bombardies are BS.... real world only matters.
Bombardier dominates at everything they do, maybe merc will wake up.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't 2 cycles getting phased out because of emissions? Its nice to hear their 2 cycles can run and stay together but they are about 10 years late to the game. We'll see how good the next generation of Bombers are and whose engineering they most resemble?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

currently the 2 strokes have LOWER emissions than the 4 strokes.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

the etec may be the only co. offering 3 year warrenty but Merc is offering 5 on there opti and verado
Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBT
Keep in mind that the ETec burns less oil than in the time it requires the Verado to change oil!.
Mercurys tests, like Bombardies are BS.... real world only matters.
Bombardier dominates at everything they do, maybe merc will wake up.
The e-tec sure didn't "dominate" in the REAL WORLD and INDEPENDENT ( no advertising accepted ) testing done by Powerboat Reports March 2005. At the most common cruising speed of 35 mph it got the WORST fuel economy of all. They tested three identically rigged Wellcraft 232's, one with a Verado 250 hp, a Yamaha F250, and the e-tec 250 hp.

At 35 mph the Verado burned 11.6 gph, the Yamaha 11.8 gph, and the e-tec came in last using 13.9 gph. With gas nearly $ 4 a gallon that will add up over a boating season especially the way fishermen put on alot of hours.

http://www.powerboat-reports.com/iss...es/5529-1.html

This IS real world, not hearsay like you are quoting.

Last edited by FloridaDan; 02-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eninrude made the first outboards 75 years ago. Yamaha copied them in the 70s. ive had them all from westbend chrysler mercs yamas to nissan outboards. Even had a Ted Williams 7.5 hp fron sears. All have been good motors.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
RHC
Registered

Nobody said that E-Ruddies are not good engines ,,,, Merc's are just better !!

RHC
Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

For the most part, this is just another Ford vs. Chevy type of brand loyalty comparison.
Mercury Marine has its followers as well as Bombardier as well as Yamaha as well as Honda.........and so on......
I have a great deal of personal experience (over 20 years) with Bombardier engineering, from the Challenger line of corporate jets as well as the CL215 water bombers, and I can tell you that they're are amongst the best in the world. I can call dozens of them personal friends. They are the same engineering group responsible for taking a failed OMC product based on German Ficht high-pressure injection technology and totally redesigned it from the ground up. Optimax has had its growing pains and has required a large amount of redesign since its inception as well- same with the Yamahas.
There are a lot of folks that believe that E-Tec engines were copied from someone else's technology. It's simply not true. Bombardier engineering simply cleaned up the poor OMC build tolerances, improved the German Ficht injection design and combustion technology, and produced one helluva engine prior to selling the recreational division to the Bombardier family. There was no attempt to copy any other mfg's work. The E-Tec has an altogether different HPDI principle, combustion chamber design, and many other engineering principles that are in no way related to Yamaha or Merc. The emissions at this time are better than any other 2 or 4 stroke, and will meet CARB emission requirements WAY into the future.
Two-stroke tech is hardly dead, in fact it's just beginning to roll and the competition is fierce.
As far as who is fastest, Bombardier has no race or HP program. They are fast motors, but it was not their intention to compete in that arena in the first place. The fuel economy is competitive with nearly every motor out there.

If someone else has personal experience and first-hand technical affiliation with Bombardier engineering, I'd love to hear your story- maybe we have some common acquaintances.
One last thing and something to keep in mind; those magazines boat/motor tests can easily be skewed to whomever is spending the most advertising dollars- it wouldn't be the first time or last.

Last edited by jafo; 02-04-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FloridaDan
testing done by Powerboat Reports March 2005.
hold on.... let me look... yup, it's 2008, NOT 2005...

Quick Reply: Evinrude Engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.