Notices

188th St. questions....

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in 1960, Left side, going east: I-beam yard, nothing, nothing nothing, Scottiecraft, nothing nothing.
Right side: nothing, nothing, construction company, nothing nothing. The only noteworthy news item of that day: Linda Lovelace lived on a houseboat behind Scottiecraft.
1962: add Formula on the right side. 1964, change Formula to Donzi. 1966: add Magnum. 1968, add Hi-lift Marine (then called Atlas Marine). 1969: Cigarette on the left side. Scratch Scottiecraft. Over the years, the Scottiecraft building held: Signature Marine, with a big sign that said "Cigarettes are hazardous to your health. Buy a Signature. Better boat, less money". Pantera, the beginning of Apache, later with their own building.

Later, Cigarette ended up with 4 buildings, and Bobby Saccenti buiit his own. Aronow, by then, had bought all of the available vacant property. He built a building for Joe Setton, who was building a fishboat, and himself. Those buildings were on the right side, and later became Bobby Moore, TnT, after Setton was killed in a hang gliding accident in the French Alps. 1980, change Donzi to Cougar, add Fort Apache, Tempest, and a bunch of little guys.

In the middle of all that, Aronow had Squadron XII, and sold it two or three times while he was on non-compete from selling the other companies. 1983, add USA.

1985, scratch Cougar, add Boss something or other, A.J Roberts.

1987 scratch Aronow, Kramer. 2003, scratch the whole frickin' street!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered

Brownie,
You forgot Omega boats!
later,
Pp.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Christ, Pepe, I can't remember how many drinks I had last night. Couldn't we lump them in with 'a bunch of little guys'?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Registered

Was it Jeffrey = Omega boats???
Pp.
PS, Can I be the big - little guy?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
in 1960, Left side, going east: I-beam yard, nothing, nothing nothing, Scottiecraft, nothing nothing.
Right side: nothing, nothing, construction company, nothing nothing. The only noteworthy news item of that day: Linda Lovelace lived on a houseboat behind Scottiecraft.
1962: add Formula on the right side. 1964, change Formula to Donzi. 1966: add Magnum. 1968, add Hi-lift Marine (then called Atlas Marine). 1969: Cigarette on the left side. Scratch Scottiecraft. Over the years, the Scottiecraft building held: Signature Marine, with a big sign that said "Cigarettes are hazardous to your health. Buy a Signature. Better boat, less money". Pantera, the beginning of Apache, later with their own building.

Later, Cigarette ended up with 4 buildings, and Bobby Saccenti buiit his own. Aronow, by then, had bought all of the available vacant property. He built a building for Joe Setton, who was building a fishboat, and himself. Those buildings were on the right side, and later became Bobby Moore, TnT, after Setton was killed in a hang gliding accident in the French Alps. 1980, change Donzi to Cougar, add Fort Apache, Tempest, and a bunch of little guys.

In the middle of all that, Aronow had Squadron XII, and sold it two or three times while he was on non-compete from selling the other companies. 1983, add USA.

1985, scratch Cougar, add Boss something or other, A.J Roberts.

1987 scratch Aronow, Kramer. 2003, scratch the whole frickin' street!
i wonder if Don ever stopped by the house boat
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

# 1 There were 2 canals in each side of 188st, each with a north and south side and I believe there were a few manufacturers like Tempest yachts that was on the southern end of the south canal, so they were not on 188...right or wrong ???

#2 Can anyone confirm which of these companies are still owned and operated by thier "original" founder ??

#3 Here are some recent pictures of 188...what a shame that condos were built and some do not even have docks and the ones that do are empty. (pic 1 & 2 is the old Fort Apache)
Attached Thumbnails 188th St. questions....-188st-canal-looking-west.jpg   188th St. questions....-fort-apache-2-.jpg   188th St. questions....-pantera.jpg  

Last edited by the1st41; 03-10-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,045 Posts

How much those condos going for?! I'd like to have an address at 188th st.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered

great thread guys would love to have seen it the day, well atleast my 67 donzi that was there
a pic from king of thunderboat row well sorry not the best quality but
it is donzi and one of Don's other companies magnum maybe Brownie would know
Attached Thumbnails 188th St. questions....-thefactory.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered

The building is Magnum. Everything else is Donzi.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
He built a building for Joe Setton, who was building a fishboat,
Just had a customer come in to talk about having a pair of Honda's fitted to his open sports fishing boat. It's called a "Bullet", and he reckons it was built by Joe Setton, he's owned it since about 82.

I remarked that it has the same defect in the spray rail as a Pantera, Cigarette etc, and he said that he's not suprised as he believed Joe used to be a partner of Don A's, and when they went there seperate ways they agreed that Joe would build O/B's, and Don would build S/D's.

Quick Reply: 188th St. questions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.