Best Way to Strip Outdrives? >

Best Way to Strip Outdrives?

Notices

Best Way to Strip Outdrives?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That original paint is hard to get off and is 200x more durable than any paint you put on it. It'll make for an excellant base.
I'll second this advice. I tried stripping the paint off the aluminum water pump pulleys...what a waste of time. The outdrives are done the same. Clean 'em real good, scuff sand and paint. At my local boat store the Mercury brand Phantom Black rattle can was the same price as the aftermarket brands and does a fine job. Perhaps another brand might have a silver that would work, but I say stick with black.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could sand them down by hand or with a D/A , the factory uses an epoxy type paint and if you don't get it all off and clean it well it will not let the new paint adhere properly. The best this that I have found is to have them soda blasted , it won't ruin any of the seals and will strip all the old paint off. Then use a self etching primer and a good epoxy primer like DP40 from PPG. then you can use what ever base coat clear coat you'd like or a single stage paint .

Thats just how I prefer to do it.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Wow everyone here has a different way of doing it...anyone have any pics of their drives before and after?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't stripped any newer ones- they "used to" powdercoat.

If you sand, I would definitely conversion coat prior to paint or powdercoating.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mer use lacquir paint. i use interlux 2001 primmer then expoy black i leave my boat in the water all summer . my drive dont get eaten up.i use a da sander and hand sand

Last edited by bajabob; 03-25-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pshannon
Hey guys my outdrives need a good repainting so I want to strip them down and repaint them in mercury black...So what do you guys think is the best way to take the old paint off?

I might do black/silver I don't know..
I think the drive looks good
Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered

Pat the impellers are in the pump on the front of the engine, you know the ones you cant see.And know Mercury does not powder coat there drives.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pshannon
Wow everyone here has a different way of doing it...anyone have any pics of their drives before and after?
Here is a thread that I started when I painted my drives. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ghlight=drives
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by comininhot
Pat the impellers are in the pump on the front of the engine, you know the ones you cant see.And know Mercury does not powder coat there drives.
Well I have to get you to do those before I launch her cause that one motor was heating up every once and while last season.. I think i'm just goin to tape the boat up and sand the drives down on the boat until they are smooth and them paint them.Also going to finally get some of those thing I wanted to do last year this year...Like paint those hatches and even the rub strip...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by comininhot
Lett me pull them off and you can blast or sand them in youre garage and then hang them or put on engine stand I will lend you one, call me.
left you a voice mail and sent you a message...

Quick Reply: Best Way to Strip Outdrives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.